1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Medium Bottom, Light Top

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lemur821, Jun 18, 2007.

1. What do you guys think of stringing a BEAD tuned 4-string like this?

.045" D 24.0 lbs.
    .065" A 28.8 lbs.
    .090" E 30.5 lbs.
    .125" B 31.4 lbs.

I'm digging the A and D with those gauges, but I've never tried and E and B that light.

2. CH Design

CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    I did some comparosions a while ago on the search for a very even (in terms of string tension) set of strings. The only gauges that came close were: B-0.131, E-0.095, A-0.075, D-0.055, G-0.40. I think they are much more comfortable to play because all of the strings have the same feel (again, in terms of tension). They might sound a little too "thin" for some, but I can't find a manufacturer who makes something a little heavier. Moving up to a G-0.045 adds a lot of tension. The E and B strings would have to be in the area of 0.110 and 0.140-0.145 to match the tension. I might try a heavier set some day, but for now I'm satisfied.

3. Yeah, those are around the numbers I got too. My first thought was to go with even tension from a .130 B (around 35 lbs), but after I threw the super-light A and D on I though I might go even lighter, with a slightly heavier bottom.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021