Meet Todd Johnson!

Discussion in 'Barker Bass Forum' started by IotaNet, Oct 25, 2005.

1. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

In addition to his work with the Ron Escheté Trio, Johnson has performed and recorded with other artists, including Kristin Korb, Mike Stern, Dave Weckl, Scott Henderson, Barbara Morrison, Plas Johnson, Sam Most, Lew Tabackin, Jack Sheldon, Joe LaBarbera, Frank Potenza, Larry Koonse, Kendall Kay, Steve & Jennifer Barnes, Kate Reid, Tierney Sutton, Poncho Sanchez, Mundell Lowe, Paul Humphrey, and Frank Gambale.

As a seasoned performing artist, Todd Johnson has developed a rich philosophy encompassing his spiritual, educational and achievement-oriented sides. Johnson sees his talent as a gift from God to continually enhance and develop.

Though Johnson dedicates himself largely to performing and recording, he also teaches courses and workshops in a variety of settings. Johnson has taught since 1991 at such notable schools as California Institute of the Arts, Musicians Institute (BIT) and The Masters College, as well as teaching private lessons. His unique style keeps him in demand as a clinician demonstrating his innovative techniques and concepts throughout the U.S.

While Todd is an official endorser of Zon Basses , he is an ardent supporter of Barker Musical Instruments (he loves his Barker Bass!) and we're happy to have him as a part of our forum!
  2. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ

This is just a quick note to say "hi" and to welcome you all to the Barker Bass Forum.

While I'm primarily a 6 -string player (I'm a "Bigtime" ZON endorser :bassist: ), I'm also a big fan of Lee Barker and the Barker Vertical Bass. :hyper:

This instrument is ideal for people like me who have small hands that need to get that "upright" vibe from time to time. I can't afford to bust up my hands trying to re-learn muscle memory on an upright, so the BVB is ideal. PLUS..........this instrument just SOUNDS TERRIFIC!!! (...and as you all know, Lee Barker is a snappy dresser and arguably the "nicest man in America".) ;)

I'm currently playing one of Lee's 5 string (lined) fretless basses with the black strings. It just "growls" everywhere.

So, open your mind and try something new. This is "forward" thinking bass design.

3. Andy Long

Andy Long

May 3, 2000
    Hi Todd

Nice to see you grabbing another forum. :D

For anyone who's interested I recommend Todd's new DVD 'Walking Bass Line Module System - Volume 1 Triad Modules'. It's opening up a whole new world for me in finding my way around some of those tricky jazz changes.

Todd, we'd like to see a video clip of you playing your Barker, so get on it geezer!

4. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    Hi Andy,

Hey, I'll be hanging out with Lee & Linda Barker up at the big Christian Musician Summit in Redmond Washington November 11 & 12 at their booth. I'm going to be doing a little playing at the booth :bassist: and also pushing my new "DVD". :cool: (thanks for the plug BTW) We should be able to put together some pictures and hopefully some video of me playing the BVB.

Anyone interested in checking us out in the Seattle area should make a point of trying to attend. It really promises to be a GREAT event.

So......hopefully we'll have some kind of photo/video after Seattle...........

Play slow!!
  5. Scwwitt

Nov 2, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    Hi Todd I thought I would just stop and say Hi, I was at BassQuake, I really enjoyed your playing and found it truely inspirational, when I got home I picked up my bass and began to play slow. Just like you had said, and I have found to my supprise how much it has helped me. I saddly did not have any money to purchase your DVD, or I would have. maybe someday I will run across it again. Thank you for putting all of your knowlege out on the table for young bucks like me.
  6. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    Hi Scwwitt,

Hey, thanks for the kind words. BassQuake was such a blast. I always come away encouraged and inspired by so many great people. Really a blessing!!!

Also, I'm thrilled to be able to put out my DVD's. It's a challenge, but also, it's a great opportunity to help people figure out this great instrument of ours!!!

Be sure to check out my website That's where you'll always be able to find my DVD's.

Oh, BTW, I start shooting my next one around November 16th. It'll be on "Modern Electric Bass Technique". I'll go in depth about all the technique things I spoke about at BQ. I'm hoping it will be beneficial to a lot of bass players!

......and, be sure to get your hands on a Barker Bass and check it out. I know you'll dig it!!

Anyway............enough blatant propaganda. :oops:

Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!!!

Be sure and continue to PLAY SLOW! ;)
  7. Lee Barker

Lee Barker Labor of evident value satisfies the soul. Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    owner, Barker Musical Instruments, maker of the Barker Bass, No Longer In Production.
    Todd--great advice for Schwitt, but you forgot to tell him how important dressing properly is.

When I want to play slow, I wear a tuxedo. With the shirt, jacket and shoes on backwards. Man, I can really play slow that way.

Just wanted you to know how a real sub average player can take your advice and be well dressed at the same time.

Lee Barker
    builds 'em better'n he can play 'em but he can look good if he tries.
  8. BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Todd, just sayin hello... I think your sig. bass is absolutely schweeet. Congrats man
  9. Scwwitt

Nov 2, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    why not play great and loog great! Barkers Tend to do that. I dont have one but someday i will! Then all the women wont be able to keep there hands off me!! (or keep their hands off my bass anyway).
  10. Andy Long

Andy Long

May 3, 2000
    If you really want to play slow turn your bass upside down and play left-handed - now that will force you to concentrate :confused:
  11. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    See, NOW you've got the idea!!! :D

Seriously though..... You know I'm about half serious when I say "play slow"?! When we slow down, we have time to hear our mistakes............if you can't hear 'em, you can't fix 'em!!
    (Sorry, I guess it's the teacher in me.....I couldn't resist ;) )

Hey, here's a thought......get all dressed up, buy a Barker Bass and PLAY REAL SLOW!!! :cool:
  12. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    Hi Billy,

Cool.......hey man, I REALLY appreciate that coming from anybody, but especially from someone with your credentials. Thanks!!

I am SO blessed to play the finest instruments ( Zon TJ-6, BARKER 5-string lined fretless) amps (Accugroove 110 cab w/Thunderfunk head) and cables, (Ensotec cables along with the HONOR of working with the finest musicians in L.A. on a regular basis. (Ron Eschete, Kendall Kay, Kristin Korb, Kate Reid, Dewey Erney,Ramon Banda, Steve and Jennifer Barnes, Mark Massey, Matt Falker, Jim Martinez...whose a GREAT jazz piano player from Sacramento,......In fact, I'm working TONIGHT with the Ron Eschete trio at Steamers in Fullerton along with our good friend Dr. Glen Cashman on Tenor sax......he's as good as it gets folks!!!! In fact we're going to cut a live cd with him at Steamers on Thursday, January 5th..................)

Anyway.........sorry about that......I got carried away. :oops:

Needless to say I'm very forunate and grateful for the manner in which God has blessed me......that's the point! :cool:

Thanks again for your kind words Billy!!!

Warm regards,
  13. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

How does that 6 stringer balance? There was a poster on here recently who had neck dive problems with his Zon and I was thinking that if that was a problem that the 6'er would have it in spades.

Also, is that model going to be available to the public as well?
    Just love that deep cutaway and extended fretboard! :D
  14. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    Hi Akami,

Since this is a Barker Bass Forum, we should probably try to keep most of the posts about the Barker Bass. ;)

Rumor has it I'll be hosting my own "ask a pro" forum here in the near future, :hyper: where I'll be happy to answer any and all questions to the best of my ability. :help:

But to answer your questions:

My 6 string ZON balances PERFEFCTLY. Then again, so does my Barker Vertical Bass!! HA! :cool:

Rumor also has it that my ZON TJ-6 will be offered to the public. Your best bet is to contact Joe Zon at . Thanks.

If you have any more ZON questions, maybe contact me with a personal email off list. I'd be happy to answer your questions.

Thanks again for your question.

15. Rumor has it that Todd is working on a new solo bass piece for 2 BASSES AT ONCE (his Zon and his Barker)!

For live shows, Michael Manring will be holding the two basses up for him while he plays....

That would rule....... Hey, that's what bass friends are for!!! ;)
  16. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Sorry, I'd thought it was a Todd Johnson forum by the title.. :(

Anyway, thanks for sneaking that info in here for me! :)

Hey! Isn't that a Zon bass your holding there!

17. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    Hi Jay,

You're funny..........actually it should be me carrying Michael's basses around for him (cartage)....... :D

He's the greatest!!!

......maybe Michael and I should be holding up basses for you??!!!! After hearing your great new cd, we may have to!! :cool:

Stay out of trouble!!
  18. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    HI Akami,

I really do appreciate your question........Thanks!!!

I'm happy to help in any way I can.

Are you in Japan???? Is that right???

I'm hoping to get over there again one of these days. Sorry, just thinking out loud..... :meh:

Take Care,
  19. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

This week would have been a good time for you to come. I went to the Japanese version of NAMM today and I think I might have to go back again tomorrow.

Heard some incredible equipment and players but no one with a Barker bass. :(

I need to do some picture editing and try to show some of the cool stuff I saw today! :D
  20. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Akami -

Actually, the Barker Bass IS coming to Japan! :bassist:

One of our endorsers, Ike "Za" Williams is in the woodshed as we speak, preparing for a Japanese tour that starts next week -- and he will be bringing/playing his Barker! (He's going to be playing the Blue Note clubs.)

I expect that he'll be posting in the forum sometime over the weekend. If you visit his thread and post a request, I'm sure he'll be happy to tell you exactly when he'll be where ... and I KNOW he'll be happy to talk to you about his Barker when he gets there!

- Dwayne