Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MEGA THREAD:: Favorite/Best Punk Bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by nyrangerr, Mar 31, 2000.

1. nyrangerr

nyrangerr

Mar 31, 2000
    Punk is a very (believe it or not) varied type of music. Bass is a really important part of it. Many people don't know but some of the best bassists in the music industry are in punk bands. I personally think Matt Freeman of Rancid is the best.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Listen to no more hero's by the Stranglers.
    JJ was awesome on Rattus Norviticcus

3. John Bulfin

John Bulfin

Jan 28, 2000
    Hey nyrangerr

Thought you were from n.y. from yr handle.
    I don't know where wil is??? (frm yr profile)
    I don't know if I have one favorite, but here are a few punk bassists that IMHO rule.
    Mike Watt (minutemen,firehose and solo)
    Bruce Foxton (the jam & stiff little fingers)
    Kevin Rutmanis (cows & melvins)
    Carl Avlarez (all & descendents)

Thats all I can think of now.

4. bassmojo9

bassmojo9

Apr 1, 2000
    I agree nyrangerr.
    Matt Freeman is the best.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree with CS that JJ Burnel is undoubtedly the best and most "up-front" bass player in this genre. You can really hear all the bass lines on their recordings and can tell that a lot of the songs were written around these. His style has been copied by others many times - "Elastica" even got into a "legal-type" situation about the blatant rip-off of a bass line!!

I saw the Stranglers live in the punk heyday and he was truly awesome - really abrasive but bassy sound, and never missed a note despite having objects thrown at him and the showers of gob (sic) ...

But wasn't it "Rattus Norvegicus" ?? [​IMG]

6. IlLu50rY

IlLu50rY

Jan 15, 2000
    Excuse me, but arnt the red hot chilli peppers in the funk genre??!
    i cant belive no one has mentioned Flea!

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Bruce Yes my spelling is appalling

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I wouldn't class Flea as a "Punk" bassist at all - he is definitely "FUNK" with a capital F. His inflences are well-known and pretty obvious in his playing any way.

9. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Flea used to be a PUNK bassist, but is now totally FUNK. (Some people just read this wrong.) He is really only an average PUNK bassist.
    Freeman is the best punk bassist on earth. From Op Ivy to Rancid, he's the shiznit.
    Don't laugh too much, but Mike Dirnt from Green Day is pretty good too (Ouch! Don't hit me)
    Randy Bradbury from Pennywise is sweet too.

[This message has been edited by rojo412 (edited April 03, 2000).]

10. angryb

angryb

Apr 3, 2000
    Green Day's bassist is really good. Why ouch? They are a good band.

11. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    JJ Burnel by a long shot. He's so good I cant believe he did not come from the states. My fave LP was Black and White.

jc

12. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    All of the above are excellent but I'd have to vote for Mike Watt personally.

13. angryb

angryb

Apr 3, 2000
    What band is JJ Burnell from?

14. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
  15. Biski2Dope

Biski2Dope

Mar 26, 2000
    Best punk band bassist and no one has mentioned Roger from Less Than Jake...wow...i am really surprised. That kid has so many phreakin complex basslines...it's impossible to learn - let alone tab out - one of his songs.

Fat Mike from NOFX is also good, it's just that he's evil....

Whoa, wait, what am i doing in THIS parta the forum?

------------------
    DISCLAIMER: Views shown by Biski2Dope in this post are entirely cynical and should not be taken as offense to anyone...and now that that's done, WANT SOME NUTS? Mooah...

16. chokingvictim

chokingvictim

Apr 6, 2000
    I am heavy into punk and from what i have heard the best bassists would have to be Matt Freeman, Roger from LTJ, Fat Mike from NOFX, Jason from Pennywise (R.I.P.), and the best...Royce from The Suicide Machines, I met him last month and he is THE MAN!

17. ross

ross Guest

Mar 17, 2000
    the guy from the clash is pretty good paul simonon i think his name is

18. silent_rob

silent_rob

Apr 13, 2000
    As far as punk bassists go, the guy from Rancid is very good. I'd have to say though, Roger from Less Than Jake or my personal choice; Tomek from Satanic Surfers. He's insane on the bass. I can personally pick up most songs pretty quick (for covering songs) but his take me a while.

Rob

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Maybe I'm showing my ignorance, but I thought that playing punk music was supposed to be about playing without knowing to play, so "best punk bassist" would sorta be a contradiction in terms. Anyway, although it's not really a punk band (more of a proto-punk) and probably almost nobody ever heard of them, Nicky Stephens of the Desperate Bicycles is my favorite bassist in that style, sorta...

Will C. [​IMG]