Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Sep 18, 2005.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Well, I just wanted to share something that just happened to me: Cointidentially, I said yesterday in another thread that I've never been a fan of Megadeth because I don't like Dave Mustaine's voice. Recently, I was talking about Megadeth with my rock band's guitarist and he was like surprised because I know very little about them and he told me he was almost sure I'd really like Megadeth's music, so he lent me his copy of the "Rude Awakening" DVD. I've just seen it and, while I still think that Mustaine's voice isn't my cup of tea, I was particularly impressed by one tune: "Sweating Bullets". WHAT A SONG! I'm planning to practice it later today and it doesn't want to go out of my head. I regret now I lost such a great stuff. Again, I heard some Megadeth LPs at music stores and DM's singing didn't impress me. I got the "Last Action Hero" soundtrack LP and "Angry Again" is included there. Frankly, I was never impressed by that tune and it's a famous one, so I thought most of their output would be like that and never got interested on them again, not even knowing that Marty Friedman is a killer guitarist (I know he quit the band years ago). Now I'm devouring that DVD. I also liked "Hangar 18", but "Sweating Bullets" is outstanding! Anyway, any thoughts/recommendations on the band and their music just for the sake of learning to appreciate them are welcome. "SWEATING BULLETS" ROCKS!! :bassist: :bassist:
  2. Check out anything from the album "Countdown To Extinction"(that's where Sweating Bullets is from), "Rust In Peace", and "Peace Sell...But Who's Buying?" (the title track has a kickass bass intro). Those are my personal favorites. The song "Ashes in Your Mouth" (track 11 from Countdown) is one of my favorite Megadeth songs and has some amazing guitar soloing. Marty Friedman is an outstanding guitarist.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think any metal fan can like/love "Countdown to Extinction." My friend loathe's Dave Mustaine's voice, but he is obsessed with the song "Symphony of Destruction." It does have a huge crushing riff... pile drivingly so.

Avoid the "Risk" album at all costs. Their early stuff might be a tad cheesy for you. Basically Rust in Peace and Countdown to Extinction are the essential Megadeth albums.
  4. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Rust in Peace has "Holy Wars" which is my personal favorite Megadeath song. Listen to that if you've never heard it, its very impressive. While Mustaine's voice is not the greatest in some aspects, He plays some insanely techinical riffs while singing. "Holy Wars" is a great example.

"Peace Sells..." is their best entire album IMO.