1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MEMORABLE CONCERTS

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mike phillips, Mar 31, 2013.

1. i been a concert goer all my life and at 51 im still attending concerts. as i reflect back some shows have really stood out. heres who and why.

don williams: the sound was crystal clear
    38 special / nightranger: my ears rang for 9 days
    kiss: special fx
    rainbow: just a great show.
    victor wooten: stood at the exit to shake everyones hand.
    rush: seen them when i as 18. took my 18 yr old daughter to see them.

these are some of mine. what was a memorable concert for you?

2. bilbo

bilbo

Jan 25, 2013
    3 beatle concerts,stax volt revue,James brown,the ventures

3. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    seeing P.O.D. after 14 year, they played mostly off the ten year old album that made me fall in love with them and even dug up a guy who did background vocals on the old album.

Relient K finally headline Creation Fest east after playing the festival almost 10 years and getting an encore. They played their 9 minuet song for the encore, it was glorious.

Needtobreathe play before a minor league baseball game, their sound check alone at lease two people pull over on the side of the road to listen.

Rush, the drum solos...:eek:

4. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Animals As Leaders: amazing playing
    Iron maiden: who cares its iron maiden
    Meshuggah: all around ridiculous. In a good way

5. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Broken Social Scene played a free show at Harbourfront here in Toronto in 2004. That was a memorable show, just a great vibe to it.

6. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Anthony Braxton played for free near me one time. The place was packed to near-capacity at the start of the performance, and was half-empty within 10 minutes! Just too atonal for 'em or something. But the performance was fascinating, with different musicians catching each other's eyes and giving hand signals, which would prompt them to interject written unison passages into the ongoing improvisation. Those of us who remained at the end gave them a well-deserved standing ovation.

I saw the Boredoms one time with something like 9 drummers on stage. Not hand-drummers, mind you, but full drumsets. And the BL, Yamataka Eye, came out with a baton, screamed orders in Japanese, and proceeded to direct this absolutely hypnotizing percussion piece for the next hour or so. Every so often he would face the audience and absolutely scream his head off at us, either in Japanese or gibberish (or something else, I don't know). He also had this strange thing with like 7 guitar necks on it, all tuned to different power chords, and every so often he'd play chords on it by hitting it with his baton. Whang! Whang, whang, whang!

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  7. vinnie6

vinnie6

Dec 25, 2011
    IL
    I saw the last show of Styx return to paradise tour in 1996 in Chicago. Not 100% sure but that may have been the last show with the original linup minus, of course, John panozzo.

Two other memorable shows were Yes and Supertramp.

8. whyseye

whyseye

Mar 3, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Joni Mitchell - Shadows and Light tour.
    Joni, Jaco, Pat Metheny, Lyle Mays, Brecker brothers, Don Alias.

It was outdoors at the Greek Theater, and a wildfire was burning elsewhere in the city, lighting the sky up orange, and softly raining ash.

Greatest concert ever - I'll never forget it.

Also memorable - Public Enemy and U2 at Dodger Stadium on Halloween.
    Just plain weird.

9. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    Kiss and Judas Priest: My first concert at the age of 14! Needless to say I was a little blown away by the awesomeness of it all!

Def Leppard: Pyromania tour, 1984. My friends and I had front row seats! Couldn't hear for three days after the show.

Bruce Springsteen: Born In the USA tour, 1985. Soldier Field, Chicago. It was GA so we arrived at 10 am and camped out all day to get decent seats. The girl I was dating at the time was a huge fan of the Boss so it was worth it. I know there is not a lot of love on TB for Bruce, but he puts on a hell of a show! Played for over three hours!

10. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    A lot to choose from, but some of my favorites (most from the '70s):

Humble Pie
    Johnny Winter
    James Gang
    Buddy Guy

11. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    First concert was Aerosmith playing in a park before they were famous.

First "real" concert KISS in 1978. Memorable for a lot of reasons. Great effects and they were at the peak of their popularity.

Ozzy with Motley Crue

My son's first concert KISS, Aerosmith and Ted Nugent

Sarah McLachlan Best mix I'ver ever heard. Crystal clear.

Paul McCartney. Great show and good mix of Beatles, Wings, and solo stuff.

Marcus Miller.

Hanging out with Todd Rundgren, Jack Bruce, Christopher Cross, Alan Parsons and MArk Farner during the "Walk Down Abbey Road" Beatles tribute tour.

Two shows that I played were very memorable for me. September 11, 2003, I played a benefit for the 9/11 families on board the Aircraft Carrier Intrepid in New York City.

April 2003, "Night of Healing" concert to raise money for the victims of The Station Nightclub fire.

12. GigJones

GigJones

Jun 10, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    I’ve seen a lot of great rock concerts in the 70’s and 80’s: Areosmith (‘77), Rush (’76), Deep Purple (’74), Emerson, Lake & Palmer, KISS, Chicago, Yes, Grateful Dead, etc.

But to this day, the one concert that sticks in my mind as the best music, sound mix, and stage presentation was Jethro Tull in 1975.

13. - Grand Funk Railroad (original line-up; '73, '74, others)
    - Yes (in the round)
    - Kiss ('77)
    - J. Geils Band (encores that I thought would never end; I think Omaha was their final stop on that tour)
    - D.C. Talk (Supernatural Tour)

14. i like the who, dont love em but they put on a great show last fall. however pino was nowhere in the mix. really had to struggle to hear him.

15. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Motorhead, my first concert ever at the age of 16.
    RHCP in Prague, the night the Czech Republic defeated Germany in the World Cup.
    Zappa Plays Zappa

16. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
    My first concert, seeing the O.C. Supertones.

Seeing Stryper and getting to meet both guitarists after the gig.

Seeing Blind Guardian with Leaves Eye's opening for them.

Seeing Rush.

17. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    . Utopia
    . Jethro Tull
    . Alice Cooper
    . Gov't Mule

18. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    In 1966 - James Brown and the Flames. The audience were on their feet the whole time. You could see why he was "The Hardest Working Man in Show Business". The sound was a little crude by today's standards, but man what a show.

19. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Pink Floyd 1994

20. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    My first concert: went to see the J. Geils band at Hudson Valley Community College near the height of their popularity, they were ok but paled in comparison to the opening band, The Allman Brothers band before Duane and Berry passed and before the Filmore East album was released.

The Band at one of their farewell tour shows in Massachusetts ( can't remember the name of the outdoor area the show was at)

Grateful Dead New Years Eve 1979 show in Oakland.

David Sancious at a really small space, maybe 50 people there. He rocked on both guitar and keyboard.

Muse, spectacular show and music