Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 400 plus power?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rumple, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Rumple

Rumple

May 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Ok mesa website says 500 watts at 20ohms. What does this power equal at 4 ohms? I was reading someone said it has only 300 watts on a good day! :eyebrow: assuming rated all at RMS.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Mesa states 500 watts PEAK POWER. Not RMS.
    Based on what 12 6L6 tubes are capable of, the Mesa is about 300 watts. I've never heard ANYONE say it is under powered though.

3. Vanni

Vanni

Sep 15, 2003
    Milan, Italy
    500W it’s the peak power…

The power of the 400+ is a little bit less of 300W RMS, and it's the same at 2/4/8 Ohm… it's a tube amp! :)

Correct... 300 very LOUD Watts! :eek: :bassist:

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I concur with what these fine gentlemen say...it's roughly 300w at 2,4, & 8 ohms.

BUT...keep in mind that a single 6L6 is only worth 25watts given the best of conditions. Multiply that by 12, and you're probably looking at something like 280w or so. Not that any of this means much since as a tube amp, this lil' guy is LOUD.

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Little?... :p

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    little and loud are huge understatments.

7. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Power enough to liquefy your innards. It'll happily run a single 8 ohm cab, as long as you get a beefy one, and it goes all the way to 2 ohms, more of a range than many amps. It's really not that heavy. I used to own a Peavey Classic 400,
    no bass head is heavy anymore. I did find the Mesa to have more clean volume than the Peavey.

8. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

This is a bit of an overstatement.

It does have nice clean power, and I've run my through my 1212 set at 7 on the main and 5 or 6 on the pre and had it stay nice & clean. It can sound pretty with my 37 inch B string.

Even after playing this amp several times a week for 3-5 hours at a time I feel like I'm still getting to know it, and the 'sweet spot' keeps moving on me. Everytime I think I have it nailed, I find my self tweeking it again the next time I play...and I play a lot.

We'll see how it all changes again, when I plug in tomorrow. Tonight I changed out the power tubes for a matched/balanced set of 12 JJ's from Bob at Eurotubes...I can't wait to turn it up and see how it likes gittin' offa dem cheap Mesa tubes.

9. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Burning, believe me when I say the difference is unfathomable. I thought mine sounded great before the JJ's... until I turned it on and it was so much clearer, so much stronger and punchier, growlier and just better in every way. I did notice a little less clean headroom but I think it's because of the way I tend to play too hard and the increased output of the JJ's. You'll be in heaven man, it's great. Still my favorite amp, it's just perfect in every way....

10. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I noticed as big difference when I did the preamp tubes a few months ago, and commented to Bob that they were MUCH better than the tubes that had been in it. He told me to wait until he got his hands on my power tubes...that it would turn it into a monster.

Tomorrow night I'll be playing a smaller place outdoors, with our small PA, so I'll get a chance to turn it up.

Although I'm a bit concerned about the headroom thing. I need good lows but clean tone.

11. That's 'cause it's tube - tube watts generally sound about twice as loud. Not gospel, but my interpretation (from playing my friends' amps - I'm too poor for a tube mesa!)

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Hallelujah on the tube change. I took out the stock Mesas, and retubed with Reflektor/Svetlana 6L6s on the recommendation of Lord Valve, and Electro Harmonix 12AX7 EH preamp tubes (also made in the Reflektor factory) and the difference is LARGE.