Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mesa 400+ Standby switch

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by geggy spoiger, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Hi all,
    I've recently noticed that when I switch to or from standby, a little blue spark can be seen thorugh the tiny space between the rocker switch itself and the plastic surround mounted to the face-plate. It can also be heard through the speakers. When coming off standby to play, a small 'fizzle' is heard for a few seconds and fades away. The same sound has been there the entire time I've owned this amp (1 1/2 yrs) so the spark has probably been there the whole time to, but I've only become aware of it as of late. Would there be a problem?? Is the spark normal??

Please any info is greatly appreciated.

2. Anybody??

Benj S.?? PBG??

Please!!

3. My guess is a bad switch, definitely a warranty issue.

4. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    My power switch broke after 9 years, a sudden flash and it stopped working. I was able to get a switch from the same manufacturer with the same ratings, looks slightly different if you really stare at it but it does the job. Changed it myself, wasn't too hard. PBG is right, of course. If you bought the amp new it's a warranty issue, don't think Mesa warranty is transferrable but maybe (hopefully?) I'm wrong.

Hopefully you can just take it to the store you bought it from, and they're a Mesa dealer/service center and fix it fast and free. I don't have much confidence in your average dealer/service center, learned the hard way, but if I could fix it they should be able to. If it's an older amp and you bought it used, it should still be an easy, cheap fix to replace the switch. You can try to contact Mesa, but unless you live near them and can drive over, or your schedule permits you to call, leave a message, and sit by the phone for days, trying to get a human at Mesa is like playing the lottery.

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Seems to be a bad switch. Get it fixed.

6. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

My power switch sparks a little when powering on, but I just leave it on and turn on my surge protector. Making sure the standby is ON (meaning not in play mode).