mesa 400+ vs. ampeg...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Aug 3, 2003.

1. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Where did you get this spec, Big String? Was it straight from Mesa?

I need to retube my Mesa D-180, and am having a hard time getting the tube spec from Mesa. Apparently these are fairly uncommon amps, and Mesa dosen't have a great deal of information available for them. I did ask if the 400+ and D-180 take the same spec tube, and they do.

Just to try it out (and to eliminate the slight hissing of the D-180), I swapped the Svetlana 6L6GC's from my 400+ into the D-180, and liked the sound. The Svet's a little darker than the original tubes that were in the D-180 (JAN Philips 7581A). The Svet's worked just fine, dead quiet at high volume. They even ran a little cooler.

So, on to my actual question. This spec, 21-27mv should work for the 400+ *and* the D-180?

Where did you buy your Sevtlana's? What did you pay?

-Pete

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like ampeg. I have a b100r and love it.

3. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    mark reccord--will svetlana 6L6GC's be an exact replacement with the fixed bias? or do i need to specify something when i order them? so far these seem to be the best option.

4. Sorry, i'm just... in a war against ampeg.

Ampeg has been know for the last 30 years as having the "best" bass amps, especially tube amps, and i was put on this earth to stop it.

i'm all for Aguilar and Mesa, and really any companies that produce an all tube amp other than ampeg. Except marshall.... eeeeew...

Oh yah, i'd really love to play a 70's SVT, but other than that, i kinda like to shy away from Ampeg. I admit, their amps are good investments, good bang for the buck; but i just disapprove of their reliability, and ugly images. Oh... and their obsessions with 8x10's. But you know, it's all just fun and games, i almost picked up an SVT4, but decided to pick up a 400+. It's given me no problems, (unlike a certain SVT3....)

Oh yah... EVERYONE i know either owns an SVT4, SVT3, or GK800.

Just my opinion of Ampeg, take no interest in my babbbling if you disagree. (or agree for that matter) heh.

~Zentner

5. KingOfAmps

KingOfAmps Inactive

I've never heard this before. Would you share a little more about this particular point??

6. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I used an A/B swith at a gig with a Mesa 400+ and a SVT4 Pro and the Mesa is gone....good amp, but not as loud as I had heard from everyone, the SVT was louder, cleaner, and had way more features...they sounded very similiar through my 610hlf. I would say overall, the Mesa had a warmer bottom end and more grit, but that's not what I am after.

just my .02

7. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I also A/B'd my svt4 against the mesa. I used db meters as well as the opinions of my band mates. Through 2 eden cabs the mesa was louder and sounded better to both the db meter as well as everyone else in the room.

8. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    My guitarist liked the Mesa better also, but what the hell does he know, he plays that puny little twangy thing....

:)

9. I'm not sure, sorry. Try Pm-ing Psycho Bass Guy about it. I'm sure he knows.

10. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I know - I used to have a 400+. You need to get them from somebody who knows the bias range for a 400+. I got mine from Lord Valve.

11. There you go! :D

12. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    yeah...they're just $25 cheaper from thetubestore. i guess though, i'd rather pay the extra money for the right thing.

13. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    And did it look anything like this...

[​IMG]

Sorry, I have a new camera. I couldn't resist.

14. Slacker, I thought the Christmas Cactus was going on top of the 400+, Did you get rid of the Jade tree? Black curtains would match too.:meh: :rolleyes:

15. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Haha! Sweet, Pete! Man, if you were closer to me, I bet you'd be all over the RR 2x15 I have for sale...

16. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Rickenbackerman: Yep, you are right. I would almost consider shipping it, but my girlfriend would kill my. Still lovin' the 400+. The D-180 is nicer for my purposes, though. For overdrive, it is killer. An underrated amp, in my opinion.

Rock Bobby: How did you know my curtains are black? The Christmas Cactus is in the bathroom, next to the tiny electric chair with a Cabbage Patch Kid in it. Remember, jade trees are for weenies, and tacky is the new classy!

:spit:

17. I stand in humble shame....:bawl:

18. Ampeg is probably 'one of the', if not 'the' oldest bass amplification company still in business. People have always relied on ampeg to produce a quality product. I have never seen a "quality" ampeg product, because i don't find them reliable, or in my opinion, a "good sounding amp" but then again, this is all preferance.

I have never played a 70's SVT, or anything like that, so i'm basing my knowledge purely on their newer equipment. If i had the chance to play an old SVT, perhaps my mind would change, but for now, i have seen only problems with ampeg, as for their new heads.

that is all.

~Zentner

19. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    "Ampeg is probably 'one of the', if not 'the' oldest bass amplification company still in business. People have always relied on ampeg to produce a quality product. I have never seen a "quality" ampeg product, because i don't find them reliable, or in my opinion, a "good sounding amp" but then again, this is all preferance.

I have never played a 70's SVT, or anything like that, so i'm basing my knowledge purely on their newer equipment. If i had the chance to play an old SVT, perhaps my mind would change, but for now, i have seen only problems with ampeg, as for their new heads.

that is all."

==================================
    Interesting thoughts, but still opinions replete with generalizations, heresay and little in the way of facts. At least you have admitted that they are unsubstantiated by your own statement ("never played a 70's SVT, or anything like that"). Not that your opinions are bad, its great that you have them (my experience with Ampeg and dealings with the original Ampeg management and workers from the 70's is very favorable and I use Ampeg products because I prefer their tone and capabilities). But I have formed my opinions based upon my experiences with those products. If you find an old SVT head or other Ampeg product considered by many to be reputable or desirable it also may very well prove to be your sonic nirvana (then again it may change your mind about their reputation). Just my opinion, peace.

20. I like Ampeg, BUT I also like Mesa a little bit more. They both rule.