1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Boogie D800+ vs Markbass F500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Efe Deveci, Aug 19, 2018.

1. mesa boogie d800+

72 vote(s)
    96.0%
  2. markbass f500

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. Efe Deveci

Efe Deveci

Jun 7, 2018
    I don't have any chance to try them, here in Turkey. I'm going to order one of them from USA in a few weeks.
    If you tried them or listened their sound, which one would you prefer?
    Can you tell me about their sounds? Thanks...

2. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Wasn't the F500 discontinued many years ago?

Ric Vice likes this.
  3. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I’ve owned both. The markbass was a very good amp but the mesa is on another level. No brainer mesa.

Aqualung60 and ElGoodo like this.
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Mesa for the win. There really is no comparison here.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  5. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    You don't have a choice. For starters, the F500 has been discontinued for a decade. And it won't work on your nation's voltage.

The Mesa is in production and will work on 220/50, so I guess that's what you're buying.

If they still made the F500 I'd buy one. The sound is spectacular, like nothing else Markbass has ever done. But they don't.

Burwabit likes this.
  6. Efe Deveci

Efe Deveci

Jun 7, 2018
    So if i buy a d800 from usa, do i not have to worry about hertz or volt? Or do i need to use something like adaptor?

7. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    MAXSPINRUN and Efe Deveci like this.
  8. voided3

voided3 Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2008
    It'll work on your local power, but it will come with an IEC power cable for North American outlets if you buy one from the US. You'll want to pick up a power cable (or steal one from a desktop computer/monitor) that is compatible with your outlets.

Efe Deveci and mikewalker like this.
  9. Efe Deveci

Efe Deveci

Jun 7, 2018
  10. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    @agedhorse designed the Mesa D800, he can verify.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  11. Efe Deveci

Efe Deveci

Jun 7, 2018
    Wow, this forum is a gold mine :woot:

12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Just an informational note... any product bought in the US market must be returned to the US for warranty service. Products purchased through local market distribution are eligible for warranty service within that market.

I say this so there's no confusion or ill will in the unlikely event that there is an issue with the product.

Gearhead17, mbelue, HolmeBass and 3 others like this.
  13. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    I'll just add to the chorus...Mesa D800+ for the win.
    I have more than a few amplifiers and I find myself plugging in to the Mesa more than any others.

Andy (@agedhorse) really did an outstanding job in designing this unit. The HPF feature gives an additional level of control over room acoustics, cabinet differences, and mix issues, and the controls are relatively intuitive.

I find that I'm able to get that warm "round" tone that is typically only attainable with tube amps.

I admit to not being a Markbass fanboy, but I expect that you can cop just about any tone you wish, with a D800+, the right bass, and the right fingers.

Best of luck,
    ELG

Efe Deveci likes this.
  14. Efe Deveci

Efe Deveci

Jun 7, 2018
    There is thomann.de but it's like 1500$ Plus %20 taxes lol

15. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    You may be able to find a used example of either amp in the EU if you are patient and search for them. You'll save some money that way and if you get a Mesa you'll avoid any (unlikely) warranty problems if it comes from the EU. I've got an F500 and its been a good reliable amp. The Mesa, being a much newer design, it probably a better amp. And being designed by Andy (agedhorse) it's got to be good. I've also got a Genz Benz Streamliner that he designed and its great and reliable.

16. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    F500 was a really good amp in it's time, and for what it did - clean, hi-fi sound, lots of punch. 800+ is a whole other ball game - superior EQ capability with dual variable midrange and variable HPF control - and the benefit of 10 more years of experience in design and implementation of Class D power modules.

17. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    MESA MESA MESA

18. Yikes! Just check that ordering from the US won't be the same scenario once you take shipping, exchange rate and customs into account.

Are you absolutely set on either of these amps? What is available locally?

Efe Deveci likes this.
  19. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    Two excellent questions.

20. Efe Deveci

Efe Deveci

Jun 7, 2018
    there are D-800(not plus) available on locals(1150$), and lots of second hand F-500s(about 400 bucks).