Mesa/Boogie Powerhouse 610

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RadioactiveGuy4, May 29, 2018.

1. Hey guys!

I am wondering what the collective opinion on the Mesa Powerhose 610 is.

I have the opportunity to pick one of these up used but given the distance I would not be able to try before I buy.

I typically play hard rock/Prog and use and 2 Eden D210XLT's and I have not had that much experience with sealed cabs.

What say you Talkbass?

2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    If its a sealed, then you found a Traditional PH610.

3. Hmmm...

Now that I have examined some Pics I guess that it is ported.

Its just hard to see the ports with them being behind the grill

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I had the std PH810, and it sounded massive and way overkill. The std PH610 would be same tone, you'd love it!

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Zombie thread resurrection!

I found a decent deal on a PH610. In the next few days, I'm going to give it a play-test. If it "Wows!" me, I'm going to buy it, and on outdoor gigs add it to my GED-2112/Crest CA9/ two Mesa PH212s setup. Without trying it, I'm thinking I'll use the PH610 for my Ged's "Drive" channel, but I'll also try it on the Ged's "Deep" channel to see where it excels.

More on this later.....And photos of the mammoth setup to come.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I love the (ported) PH610. It's a largish cab, of course, but very versatile. It hits like a ton of bricks, has excellent balance and a great mix of fullness and clarity. :thumbsup:

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  7. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    I used the standard Mesa PowerHouse 6x10 cab for years, the thing really rocked. Put out good clear tones (you could hear every note), good punch and volume (without PA or Mic support). My only reason I sold it was because of the weight, it's a little heavy and I downsized to something smaller and lighter and been using for a while their PowerHouse 2x12. I have nothing but good things to say about and experiences with the 6x10 though.

Arthur U. Poon and tombowlus like this.
  8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    I just checked with the seller, it's the ported "Standard" model. I'm glad you brought that up, Tom. I definitely want the ported version instead of the sealed "Traditional" model.

tombowlus likes this.
  9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yeah, that is a great cab. I used it as a reference in my review of the Traditional Powerhouse 410 and 810.

10. I still have my PH610. It ended up being the older rear ported model but it still slams. While it is heavy, I have caster on mine so it rolls. When it comes to loading it in the car I just tip it over and slide it in. That being said I can lift it but I would never want to have to play a venue where I would have to go up more than 2 or 3 stairs.

Sound wise, its killer. I think my Eden Cabs do better with the high mids but the PH610 owns the lows and low mids.

D0F3FEA9-5510-490C-A8F6-8558F2D9AB8B.jpeg

4C7E3B88-8E2B-46E1-B030-6F7ED2753C64.jpeg

Arthur U. Poon, Stumbo and tombowlus like this.
  11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    I forgot to post back that I played through the Mesa PH610. It is indeed the Standard model, and it sounded fantastic. It easily handled my low-B, and it sounded nice and punchy from top to bottom. I ended up putting it on layaway

BTW. It had a Mesa WD-800 plugged into it, -what a nice sounding amp head!

tombowlus likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021