1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa cab id

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Axelorox, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Axelorox

Axelorox

Mar 31, 2014
    I recently saw Paul McCartney at the ACL music festival and it was perhaps the best live bass sound I have ever heard. What cabs is he using here? They look different than his old Diesel units.

2. locisbrelm

locisbrelm

Nov 6, 2009
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Bass
    I believe he's using a Powerhouse 1000 (4x10 + 1x15) and a Powerhouse 215. The PH1000 is my favourite cab.

3. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I had the older "diesel" one and really loved it. It was about 140 lbs. Solid 3/4 plywood throughout. I sealed off the 2 - 210 chambers for a ported 1-15 and sealed 10 congig. It seemed to work just fine. I ran it with a GK 2000RB.

BTW, It is a mortal sin around here to mix driver sizes from different cabs, let alone mixing them in the same cab.

4. Axelorox

Axelorox

Mar 31, 2014
    If one were to get just one of these cabs, which would be better as a standalone? For the comments I've seen against mixing speaker sizes I'm leaning towards the 215 (though harder to find a good used one currently, compared to the 1000).

I've seen offhand references and jokes in posts here about the 'sin' of mixing speaker sizes, and gather that it comes from phasing issues from different sizes. But there seem to be many opinions on this and it seems like one of those things where you have to go listen for yourself.

Since Paul is using a PA system, perhaps that reduces potential phasing issues from his mixed cab?

5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    in 2014 when the new mesa tube Strategy amps came out, Paul got an all new rig along with a PH1200 and PH215 cabs.
    it looks like there's simply a screen covering up all the amps, so it looks weird.

6. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I would only add the caution that no matter what amp Sir Paul is using, it's most likely the case that, unless you were on stage with him, you probably heard the PA mix more than his actual amp/cab rig. So, while it's certainly interesting to know what he is using these days (and he has seemingly been fond of Mesa gear for the past several years), it may not help you in any effort to reproduce his live sound.

good luck

Axelorox likes this.