1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa plus Ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Calaverasgrande, Mar 4, 2010.

1. I had a crazy idea today. I am sure this is not even technically feasible. Has anyone ever heard of putting an Ampeg transformer on a Mesa Bass 400?
    I am just curious if its even workable. It would be nice to be able to use all my cabs at once as a 2 ohm load!
    Or of course I could see about either getting a 400+ tranny or just getting a 400+.

2. i'm sure the tech guys are going to tell you no.....but if you have an ampeg head and a mesa head you could certainly aby them to get some good sounds and increase your speaker area

3. I really like the grindy tone of boogies but am also a big fan of the wall of thud that is Ampeg (at least their tube heads).
    So I am always wondering about how to make a boogie more ampeg-ish or vice versa.
    I am probably doomed to own one stack of each.
    Still, I keep wanting to put 6 6550's in my 400, mod the volts so that I get a full 300 watts then use an ampeg transformer to convert that to the world of speaker cones.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Not sure I completely understand. Don't both those heads support a 2 ohm load? I know the Ampeg does.

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, by the time you've modded the h3ll out of your Mesa, (and most likely not be too happy with the results) you could've just bought an additional SVT and have both.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    ya, too much work for too little return.

7. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Use an SVT as a slave amp.

8. the 400+ supports 2 4 ohm loads. The 400 does only 4 ohms.
    Strangely I just was reading the 400 manual yesterday and it reccomends wiring your cabs to 16 ohms if you want to run two cabs. that is make each 2x15 series 16 ohm instead of parallel 4 ohm. then plug them both into the 8 ohm jack.
    interesting idea.

9. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Depends, the VR [DEL]only does 4 and 8.[/DEL] and the CL only do 2 and 4.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    sorry jason...the vr does 4 and 2, too.

11. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    And you're correct, funny, I own one and didn't even know for sure......... go figure

12. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I once ran the preamp out from an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro into the input of a Mesa/Bogie M-2000.

The best of both worlds. :bassist::cool::hyper:

13. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    I'm gonna throw a vote to running one of each amp. That would kill and give a sweet mixed tone. :D

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    hey, 2 years ago, i didn't know what ohms even were!

15. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Yeah, it was a mantra right? ;)

16. or a moody blues tune

17. Jungle Dog

Jungle Dog

Mar 4, 2010
    Always remember-ohms need homes

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020