1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mesa Powerhouse 410 w TH500 how to EQ

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shughey, Sep 13, 2018.

1. shughey

shughey

Nov 21, 2006
    Dover, NH
    I play a gig where an old "rhino" covered Mesa Powerhouse 410 is provided as backline. I play this cab with my TH500 head running at 8 ohms. I'm used to running through DB112NTs, Markbass stuff (frequently the NY115), Hartke aluminum-coned 410s, and sometimes Ampeg 810s. With this Mesa I'm getting more of a 'grizzly', for the lack of a better term, sound in the upper mids. It's a lot more aggressive than the other cabs I mentioned (maybe w the exception of the Hartke which is aggressive in it's own way).

I tried to remove some of this sound with the midsweep control on my TH500, but I couldn't really remove it. That sound seems baked in too much to be removed that simply. Does anyone hear that sort of sound in this cab that has a way to smooth it out a bit without completely ruining the midrange? I'm not looking for a scooped tone, just something less aggressive and more round. I've read some threads around here where guys seemed to really love this cab and didn't feel it was really aggressive, so maybe I'm just overly conditioned to that frequency response of the aforementioned cabs I've been playing.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Over the years, I have found it easier to cut things I don't want rather than boost things I do want to get around the things I don't want.

Turn the mid frequency knob up to about 80% all the way. Then turn the mid level knob most of the way down. Then fiddle with the frequency and level a little until you dial out the honky mids that are bothering you.

3. shughey

shughey

Nov 21, 2006
    Dover, NH
    I tried doing this with my TH500, but to no avail. I'm wondering if that 'grizzly' sound I'm hearing in the PH cab is too broad or otherwise somehow 'baked' in to be removed with the TH500 midsweep boost/cut knobs.

two fingers likes this.
  4. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    It’s a pretty mid forward cab. What @two fingers said is probably your best course of action. I would add try running a little less Gain on the head as I found with the TH500 I had for a few weeks, had a profound effect on the overall tone.

Or of course there’s always Flats, tort, carrots, and an HPF just for good measure.

two fingers likes this.
  5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Try turning the cab around to face the wall.

6. shughey

shughey

Nov 21, 2006
    Dover, NH
    I tried to go that direction (flats; P-bass), but for one of the bands it just doesn't work. That's my go-to bass, but I like the little bit of grind and sustain I get from RWs since the music is on the heavier side of classic rock (loud band, 'Van Halen' sort of guitar sound, etc.). Plus, I use that PH cab only once in a while, not something I want to change my bass to morph to.

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    The grizzly sound may be exactly what you need to cut in the mix. I find there is a big difference between sweet solo/"bedroom" tone and what works best in a live situation, where there is a lot of other noise. My super-dialed in live tone sounds a little harsh by itself but in the mix it sounds much smoother.

8. jw23mind

jw23mind

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    What about the tweeter, dial it down before messing with amp eq? What sounds good at low volume can become harsh at high.

9. shughey

shughey

Nov 21, 2006
    Dover, NH
    I'll take a look at that next time I get a chance to play through it. I seem to remember it only have one Neutrik connection and that's it though. I didn't even see a tweeter attenuator on the back, so I'm not sure it has a tweeter.