1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Strategy and Prodigy discontinued. Also PH cabs.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikeswals, Jul 3, 2018.

1. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Walkabout has always had more than enough for any indoor or outdoor gig I've ever played. No issues, ever.

2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I loved my Walkabouts, but I had to use them in 4ohm cabs to make it useful.

I just got a Prodigy and gigged/heard for the first time last night...this amp is killer! I also still have my Bass 400 and Strategy, and this Prodigy sounds closest to the 400. Even the sound guy loved it.
    There is plenty of headroom, barely had it at 9:30 on the master. At 26-29 lbs, its nothing!

Sorry to say, there is no tone like a full tube amp. Juicy, 3-dimentional, dynamic, everything was just thicker. I just have not gotten that with any ss power section.

tombowlus, sears, _Some Dude and 4 others like this.
  3. nbsipics

nbsipics Very Unorthodox Behavior Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    So gain some and try the 8:88. More ( in a good way ) of the same.

:)

4. nbsipics

nbsipics Very Unorthodox Behavior Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Sorry man, love ya, just joking! Except for the doubling thing...

EDIT: Oh crap, did not read further. So, being already a 8:88 owner, am I off the hook? ( i.e., not bad, eh? )

OK - no more DG for ME.

mikeswals likes this.
  5. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    :D

Yeah, the 8:88 is just more of everything, it is just massive sounding.
    When I bring that out just to use it, I barely have the volume knob cracked open.

Arthur U. Poon and nbsipics like this.
  6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I lucked out and found a new PH610 at my local Mom and Pop music store. I played my bass through it, liked what I heard, and I put it on layaway. I envision I'll only use it in tandem with the pair of PH212s that I have, for outdoor festivals. I figure I run my GED-2112's "Drive" channel through the PH610, and it's "Deep" channel through the PH212s.

I was looking for another pair of PH212s in minty condition, which are somewhat hard to find, but I "discovered" the PH610 at the music store, and I just couldn't pass it up.

For an indoor gig in a really big room, without P.A. support, my PH212s will provide more than enough volume.

Indiedog, tombowlus and mikeswals like this.
  7. Got a line on a Prodigy for a good price. My concern over all volume level.
    I’m coming off of 800-1000 watt class D amps, but only using a single 12 or pair.

Are my concerns nil?
    I mean, it’s 250 TUBE watts. And considering a SVT buried my D800 in the past.....even though I think the D800 is the “loudest” of the class D amps out right now.

8. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    The speaker you use will be a huge factor in how loud the amp will play. A single 12" is not going to go very far regardless of whether it's 250 tube watts or 800 class-D watts. 250 watts into a relatively efficient 215 will be plenty loud. 800W into a relatively efficient 215 is likely to knock stuff off your walls.

Jim Carr likes this.
  9. Powerhouse 112 cabs

10. I took the plunge and grabbed the Prodigy.
    $900 with a road case (that will never get used, so Road case for sale next week!!)

11. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I use the road case my 69 SVT came in for a speaker stand :roflmao:.

MikeBass likes this.
  12. If this dude from Reverb doesn’t respond by tonight, I’m gonna cancel my order with him and request a refund.
    It’s been a few days since I paid for it and not word or anything.

mikeswals likes this.
  13. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Ouch that sucks! hope it pans out for you.
    I am stoked on how good this Prodigy sounds, volume knob was pretty low in the club setting, so it would have lots more to go before running out of steam, so no worries there.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    MikeBass likes this.
  14. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I find them rather different, especially in the "volume dept." The Prodigy is a great head, I use it every day—when practicing and sometimes for gigs. The D800 goes to most gigs now, either as a spare or as the main show. If it's the spare, I'm using a racked Crest ProLite 3.0, which makes close to 3000 watts bridged into a 4 ohm load. For a variety of reasons, I generally don't have PA support.

For headroom, the D800 wins hands down, IMHO. The Prodigy, into a 4 ohm 12/12/6/1 fEARless runs out of gas in a large bar in my psycho-billie trio. Tried it several times, but just could not dial in a clean, loud enough, sound I was happy with. This is with a Krivo magnetic pickup equipped upright or a single coil vintage P-bass. Gain set for a clean preamp sound meant the master is pretty much cranked. I don't dime the EQ on either the Prodigy or the D800.

Obviously, a 4 ohm fEARful likes power, but it is NOT so terribly inefficient. It can handle just about anything I can throw at it, and clearly reveals clipping in the preamp or power amp stage of any amp that hasn't got the whump.

Arthur U. Poon, MikeBass and Wasnex like this.
  15. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    THAT would be quite a combination. I would pay money to hear it. :)

You make my dual PH115’s seem...normal.
    Thank you!

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  16. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Lol! I was always the poor kid that got pummeled by the guitarists with big amps. :D
    Most guys my age have Corvettes or Mustang GTs, I decided to go with a ridiculous amplifier. :woot:

-And haul it to gigs in my Big Block Ford 4X4, lol! :)

Indiedog likes this.
  17. zekmoe

zekmoe

Nov 9, 2005
    I picked up a powerhouse 2x12 beyond mint a couple of weeks ago for around $400. I won’t have to move it so I won’t worry about weight but have been looking for a good head to pair it with. I’ve had several bass heads but have existed with an Ampeg Rocket 100 1x15 combo for years. I wanted a somewhat larger full range rig of late. I am leaning now towards a GK Legacy after my flirting with an M6 Carbine ended with the loud fan noise. Any assumptions on how the 500 or 800 would match with it? I’ll look for a second or a matching 1x15 at some point as well.

18. Good lord where are you guys gigging?
    I can do 90% of my gigs with a single 12 cab.
    A lot of top 40 rock, modern country, 10 piece horn band.
    I’m on track for about 250 gigs this year. I can’t imagine loading a 212/115 or the like- let alone a 610 and a PAIR of 212’s, in at every gig.

Wasnex, Arthur U. Poon and lomo like this.
  19. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    P bass + Prodigy, middle voicing, flat EQ, bass tone knob rolled all the way off is just everything I wanted.

faivy likes this.
  20. zekmoe

zekmoe

Nov 9, 2005
    No where of course! Gear is for fun too. I currently have 3 4x12 guitar cabs among others and never expect to see them leave my (admittedly large) home studio. It’s like owning a boat. What a ridiculous waste of time and money. But just to me, not for the guy who likes it. I like playing with sounds, and gear, and recording. And I want a full size rig.

fclefgeoff, MikeBass and Wasnex like this.