1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Strategy and Prodigy discontinued. Also PH cabs.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikeswals, Jul 3, 2018.

1. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The voicing is by design, has nothing to do with the size of transformers or voltage.

2. _Some Dude

_Some Dude

Sep 14, 2016
    The reason for the voicing is because it’s a Mesa. They have a general signature to their sound and these amps are consistent with it.

3. Wild_Bill_57

Wild_Bill_57 Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I just listed a Minty Clean Prodigy Four-88 in the classifieds

Jim Carr and mikeswals like this.
  4. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    Bummer to hear that. I just played a Strategy last month for the first time and was blown away by its mammoth sound (even in 100w mode) resulting in an immediate attack of GAS.

I empathize but damn you Mesa for discontinuing another great amp. I loved the 400+ too & currently have an earlier Walkabout 12 that will never leave.

Yes, I'm a fan and Mesa's the stuff for me.

One suggestion. Make a nice @100w 10"/12" combo for solo/practice/small room use that's as light as a Rumble 100 (22lbs). I'm currently using the WA for that and it can be a bit much to keep the volume down at night so a smaller option would be really nice.

Also, someone mentioned using JJ KT-88's for replacements and I concur. I've used them in other amps and have had very good results.

5. Just discovered yesterday that these were discontinued in the summer. I was seriously considering one, lots of positive feedback from many Barefaced users, but they were all clearly lying through their teeth about lack of maintenance issues. Don't know about making that type of initial investment with $700 USD cyclical maintenance, all just for home audiophile enjoyment. I'd be too scared to gig with it.

Would still love to try one, not very accessible yee yonder.

6. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    I'd like to buy one too. But it seems the KT88 is a real concern. But I'm still tempted....

7. faivy

faivy

Nov 23, 2004
    Montreal
    Been using mine since 2017 with no issues and gigging regularly either in 4 or 8 ohm mode. No problems. Great sound,

8. Jim Carr and Pbassmanca like this.
  9. s_wood

s_wood Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
  10. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    You know?
    Slavery abolished so long ago, no one would carry those heavyweights anymore

Cheers,
    Wallace

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  11. faivy

faivy

Nov 23, 2004
    Montreal
    My Prodigy is 26 lbs. The day I can't carry that, I'm giving up.

12. Yes 26 lbs is modern time, at the slavery era they carry a SVT!:banghead:

13. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    alright
    yet you talked about power house cabs too, am I right?

I once owned 4 carbine heads:
    - a 3 cube 4ohm 1x12" combo
    - a 3 on two 2x12" cabinets
    - a 3 on two 4x10" cabinets
    - a 6 on four 4x10" cabinets

Plus an extra transatlantic 1x12" guitar combo and a head and 2x12" guitar cabinet
    All good stuff
    Yet heavy as hell

And, whenever my divorce occurred, all got lost in the procedings

I don't regret the weight anyway... and still I favor hartke, so not the lightest brand around;)

Cheers,
    Wallace

faivy likes this.
  14. Sorry for this dumb question....
    But comparatively speaking- and it’s subjective I know, hows does a Prodigy stand up to say a D800 in the volume dept?

faivy and nomaj like this.
  15. faivy

faivy

Nov 23, 2004
    Montreal
    Ampwise...I've got the Prodigy and the D-800+..You can't compare based on where the volume/gain controls set but gigwise...I use them with the same cabs, either a PH410 or 1 or 2 (depending on the situation) Aguilar GS112's. I find them really similar. Unless I do a gig where I bring both it is hard to judge.

16. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    Thanks for your comment, since I've never heard either the Prodigy or the Strategy, so I was curious, too.

How would you compare the Prodigy's sound to the Super Bassman or SVT?

17. faivy

faivy

Nov 23, 2004
    Montreal
    I don't know the Super Bassman but I've owned a vintage SVT. The Prodigy is more modern and versatile. The SVT is on so many stages because of what it does. That midrange cut through and growl. The head is just a component of the sound though..the cab, the bass, the room and your fingers complete it. In other words even the same gear will sound different in different hands and room.

nomaj likes this.
  18. nomaj

nomaj

Apr 2, 2012
    Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. I'm currently itching for a Super Bassman.

19. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    I never hear much about the Mesa Radiator Scout cabs on TB, so I'm guessing not many use them. I have to say, my set of 12s, powered by the Walkabout, is the best rig I've ever played through. Someday I'll purchase the Subway and cabs, but I see no reason to change up at this time. Such quality stuff, Mesa.

20. faivy

faivy

Nov 23, 2004
    Montreal
    I loved my walkabout but the power/headroom was an issue for me