Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mesa walkabout head overheating

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b1bout2jam, Feb 17, 2006.

1. b1bout2jam

b1bout2jam

Feb 17, 2006
    I have a mesa walkabout head pushing a 4 ohm ampeg 4-10 cabinet and my head has gotten hot as hell and overheated twice now on stage. the head is about 2 yrs old. both times it shut off were at the end of a 3 hour set. The fan is working. help me people...i don't want to pay to have it fixed if i can do it myself. I don't think the tubes have ever been changed...could this be why it is screwing up?

2. Is the head mounted in a rack? if so mount a couple of fans to the rack.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Tubes will have nothing to do with it overheating. Check to see that there is nothing obstructing the flow of air from the fans. Look around inside and see if it's clogged up with dust or debris that might prevent cooling. And make sure the fans are really blowing air.

beyond that, you may have to take it to a tech, but call Mesa first and see what they suggest.

Mine has never overheated even driving a 4 ohm load at high volume. I've never played it flat out for longer than about an hour though.

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    If it's only 2 years old, it should still have three years left on the warranty.

I've had plenty of problems with my Walkabout, but never had a problem with it overheating, or shutting down. And, someone here has run it at 2 ohms for 3 hours in the Summer without any thermal failures.

Short of blocked air flow, I can't think of any reason it should croak like that. Good luck!

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I have a Walkabout that I use for looong sets into a 4ohm load and it doesn't even get warm.

Are you sure you are using a speaker cable to go from amp to cab, and not an instrument cable.

(FWIW, years ago some goofball used an instrument cable to connect a floor wedge to my monitor amp, and the amp got hot enough to cook on. :eek: )

6. What is the difference?