1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Me'Shell's Gear

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Okemos, MI
    I absolutely love her tone (and esp. her musicianship)

anyone know what she currently using?

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    to my understanding, she records with a pre-cbs passive jazz...

3. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Which tone? Theres a bunch of variations, all essentially a J-bass tone. Based on a hodgepoge of articles Ive read and some video Ive seen:

Modulus VJs with crispy fresh rounds, old J basses with flats, aggie B680, and sometimes an SVT. Also keyboards.

She is one of my favorite players for sure.

4. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Okemos, MI
    I was referring mostly to her amplification gear...I have a Celinder bass and I find this sounds close enough for my tastes.

I think she primarily used Ampeg gear live, but have also heard Agular mentioned.

5. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Used to endorse eden and use D-210XLTs, last thing I saw from her was live at montreux and she was using an SVT. Her new trip is more of of souly Jazz thing, and shes getting more of an old school sound with the ampeg. I think all of the older records were cut with a DB680 as a front end.

In an old BP interview she talked about the importance of warmth from her amps, seems that is her driving criteria.

6. Crazykiwi

Crazykiwi

Sep 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    When I saw her in London she had an old Jazz with an Ampeg SVT into an Ampeg 8x10. I heard somewhere that she played '71 sunburst jazz with a '69 neck or something?

7. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    also read that one setup on her old sunburst jazz is TI flats, and that she had been asked to get more bite, but likes the flats.

8. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Saw her in San Francisco at Bimbo's a couple years ago, she was playing an Ampeg head (not sure which one, but it looked current) and cab.

9. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    She is an endorser featured on the front page of the Ampeg website, FWIW. <--- OOPS, I'm so wrong! D'oh!

10. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    sponsered and endorsed are one thing, but what does she use? Slash is on TV playing a Wal-Mart First Act guitar, but you know he really doesn't play one.

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    When I saw her in Boston last year, it was a vintage J-bass into an SVT stack.

12. Yes, she's one of my favorites. I think I read somewhere that she used to have an older LesPaul bass that had been leveled so many times that it was nearly fretless, and that was part of the tone on the early albums.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    she sounded her best w/ SVT gear, both at irving plaza and the village underground when i saw her. not so nice w/ the SWR crap at BB kings, tho.

its amazing how she doesnt have an aguilar endorsement, tho. read she used a 659 direct to the board in the studio.

14. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Okemos, MI
    She is listed on the Aguilar website as an endorser...also, she is not on the Ampeg website front page, that is Gail Ann Dorsey

15. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Holy--- how did I make that mistake? I am totally embarassed, and my forehead has been duly smacked.

16. I do remember when she did the video with JCM on Wild Nights, that she was using a new Gibson LesPaul bass..

Randy

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    As far as Basses go,she mainly uses a vintage Fender J,but on occassion she has and will us a Modulus VJ,Gibson LP Bass,Surine and a Celinder.

18. Ok. We have responses regarding the basses, amps and cabs she uses or has used, but the important question remains. What cables does she use?

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021