Metal PU

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lengi, Apr 13, 2005.

1. lengi

Apr 13, 2005
    Hello! I'm looking for the ultimate Metal, high outboard Pickup for Fender Jazz Bass. Something like the EMG81 just for Bass. I was thinking about the Quarter Pounder by Seymour Duncan. The disadvantage of this one is that it is a single coil and I would rather use a Humbucker. Any suggestions?
  2. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    DiMarzio Model J perhaps?
  3. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Get a new bass. I'd never ever use a Jazz for metal. It's pretty much the opposite of metal bass. However, I would definitely say that EMG makes the best metal sounding pickups.
  4. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Tell Opeth that! The guy rocks out on stock MIA Jazzes on Damnation & Deliverence I know for sure, and probably most other albums as well. But what do you mean by "metal" pickup? Lows? Mids? What?

5. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You can play any style of music on pretty much any bass. If you can't, chances are its not the bass. ;)
  6. lengi

Apr 13, 2005
    i think that it should have high output and should be able to get recognized even in a band with let's say three guitar players.
  7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Probably DiMarzio Model J or Ultra Jazz set, both of which are humbucking.
  8. And tell God Forbid that....

Try out EMG's.
  9. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I was pretty sure Martin played P's, not J's...but the point still stands: Opeth rocks and you can do metal on a Fender, its in the fingers, not the bass.

Edit: Just checked Opeths site, you are right. Martin used a Fender Marcus Miller edition J bass Blackwater, Deliverance and Damnation. He used a Weston 5 string on "My Arms, Your Hearse", then a Fender P and a Samick fretless on "Still Life".
  10. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I knew for sure on Damnation and Deliverance, cos I have DVDs for those albums :p. Blackwater I think he might've used two different basses, either that or he does some serious EQing/studio magic for different tracks. Ah well, kick ass band none the less!

11. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Newsted and Trujillo(well, his basses have Jazz pups) use Jazzes for metal. Also Warwicks have Jazz pups and look at the metal bands that use em(Mudvayne off the top of my head).