Metro Meltdown? Serious problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by soundoholic, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Okay. I'm about to sell my Eden Metro for some money. I found a buyer and everything. About four hours ago I was checking everything out and found a major problem.

After about 3-5 minutes of playing the amp stops making sound! If I leave I turn it off for about half an hour I can turn it back on and use it for another five minutes. Even if I just use headphones this happens. I noticed that the fan never kicked on. Is it the fans fault or what???? This has never happened before. I checked everything out many times. I even plugged the amp into a power conditioner. The amp does not get hot. I am really really scared. Does anbody have any ideas on what could be wrong?
    I will likely have it looked at by a tech.
  2. I discovered some new things this morning.

It takes exactly 5 minutes for the amp to stop making noise. Note that the amp still remains on, or atleast the lights do.

AFter the five minutes, if I turn the gain and master volumes up all the way I can hear my bass fantly.

The replacement bulb on the cabinet needs being replaced. This should have no effect on anything if I understand correctly.

I'm going to call my sound buddy, but this seems to be a big problem. Anybody have a clue??
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    First, check if it does this with another bass as well.

Secondly, swap out the preamp tube, it could be failing once it gets warm.

Just some thoughts.
  4. I don't have another working bass. But this one works with my other combo amp with no problems.

I'm going to see if the local music shop might have a replacement eden tube.

The sound doesn't fade out though. It cuts out with no noise.
  5. One more observation.

When the amp is working the low end seems really muddy.
  6. It's difficult to diagnose what the problem is but here's a suggestion.

U.S. Music who now owns Eden is still offering extended warranties for $100 bucks. Go online or call them and buy the warranty. Then send it in to them for repair. You'll come out way ahead on price if you just send it in for service and you'l get the problem resovled plus they'll check everything else out and bring it up to current specs.
  7. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wow, that's odd...sounds like the preamp tube to me. well, i can help with one thing. the bulb that needs to be replaced can be had for about a dollar from your local auto parts store. it's actually a slo-blo fuse used in automobile dome lights. verify the part number, of course...
  8. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I had a similar problem with my Eden WT400. I don't know if it's the same problem, but I have included a link to my thread regarding this problem. It may not have the solution to your problem, but it does have good troubleshooting steps in it. Best of luck to you
  9. Thanks for the responses guys. I put in an order for an eden tube and the bulbs. I'll keep you posted after I get them in and installed.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Eden is going to send you a Ruby Tubes 7025 for your $15. Go to a guitar shop and get the same one for $7.50.