1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Metronomes! Help needed

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mr pickelz, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Mr pickelz

Mr pickelz

May 11, 2011
    Howdy all

I wanted to know if you guys know of any good analogue metronomes that are reliable and can be changed to different time signatures, I know of a few digital ones but can analogue ones do that? If so could you get back to me with brand names and makes?

Cheers

2. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    By analogue, I take it you mean mechanical? The sliding position of the counterweight up and down the pendulum gives you your variation. As for precise quantification, I know some more expensive models have a time scale on the upright. Other than that, it's mostly guesswork or keep making minute adjustments until you get what feels right.

Not a metronome expert so all of
    the above could be complete balderdash.

What's wrong with a digital model?

3. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Boss Dr Beat, DB-88.

That's about as flexible as it gets.

4. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    What's an analog metronome and why would you want one? Is it "warmer"? :p

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I think he means "mechanical". You might want to look at something called a "trinome", it's still electrical but it's mechanical, not digital.

6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Wittner makes excellent mechanical metronomes, and they have a few models that have a bell option that you can adjust so it goes every 1-6 (or 8...I don't remember) beats.

I've had one for a long time.