1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mexican 32" Stu Hamm Urge I

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman10096, Aug 23, 2007.

1. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Anybody have any experience with a Fender MIM Stu Hamm 32" scale bass? I'm looking for a medium scale bass that's a little easier on my wrist, but could deliver J-type tone (willing to swap pickups). Also - the MIA Hamm's are alder. Any idea what the MIM's are made of?

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    IIRC there was a TB'er who bought one just to satisfy his want for a short scale jazz bass...perhaps he will chime in!

www.stuarthamm.net doesn't seem to be working now, but on the "basses" page you can read some basic specs for it!

3. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Thanks Chris. Stu's website is working today. I was able to find that the MIM version of the bass is poplar - not alder. That pretty much tells me to look elsewhere. Thanks for the heads up on the website.

4. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Just sent you a PM regarding the Stu Hamm and a couple other medium scales I've got.

5. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    chris - when was it down?

seems to be working right now - or are you referring to the forum? in which case those were down for a bit. I really gotta work on that, but I've been stupid busy lately

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'm not sure, I'm guessing about 24 hours ago...so August 23rd, 15:00 hours or so! I checked this morning though and the site is working again! :)

7. I have 2 USA Urge I basses. Medium scale aside, I got mine because I like the P and J combinations and I find they play better than most MIA Fender basses that I have seen. The shorter reach is nice, along with the overall reduction in weight.