1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MI-100 on the Evil-Bay...

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Wilbyman, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
  2. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    That one's been on ebay since last summer. There must be something wrong with it....

I might be selling a mint condition 1992 MI-100 soon... if my deal to buy a WW Ultra goes through.

Anyway, that one on eBay is not one that you want to buy. Wait for the right deal to come along. (I personally spent a long time trying to buy my current WW)

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Thanks T, that's what I was looking for. These things are so weird, it's like buying an old Porsche...it's kind of hard to spot the deal amongst all the problems amps and/or overpriced pieces.

W

4. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Those old ones are just fine, but the price is maybe a bit high on that one (especially considering the "as-is" disclaimer); and besides, you might be able to find a newer two-channel version in the same price range if you wait long enough and keep your eyes out. Between Tbeers and myself (I might be selling my '98 Lo-Power depending on financial concerns) this very forum may see some in the future...

5. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    You guys are such teases. If you mugs are selling one, hook a brother up!!!

I would really like to get something from a nice safe TB'er as opposed to the dark denizens of the bay.

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Are you a collector?
    $750 seems a lot to pay for 100w. I couldn't imagine that an old model would have some special unique sound.

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I have read comments about whether spare parts are available for those earlier generation WW's.

8. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I suspect when Walter retires there are going to be a lot of orphaned amps. Maybe some smart tech will be able to reverse engineer them enough to repair them.

9. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The only thing in the older Walter Woods amps that is not completely conventional is the power supply. I showed an MI-100-8 to an electrical engineer friend who has designed 100's of switch mode power supplies, and he had the WW's PS figured out in a few moments. Nothing out of the ordinatry to him. Parts availablity can be a problem with any older equipment of course.

10. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Fdeck and Wilbyman.
    I recall those threads about Walter not being able to repair certian older models as well. From what I remember the amp that was the problem was the MI-225. That's probably because it's got two power amplifer sections that run together in mono to produce the 225 watts. When Walter built those amplifiers he evidently couldn't produce a single power amp that would produce double the power of the MI-100.

Ric

11. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I was having some trouble once getting Walter to answer the phone and my amp needed fixin' in a bad way. My downstairs neighbor was an electrical engineer who worked for a living on humongous (10,000 watt) amplifiers that would be used to perform structural tests on whatever it was he was working on (like, simulating earthquakes or something--it was never really clear to me). Anyway, he took the WW apart and was surprised to see that the part numbers had been scratched off of all of the components so that no one could reverse engineer it (or, as it happens, fix it). He told me to call Walter and ask for the schematics for the amp; the conversation went like this:

ME (to answering machine): "Hi Walter, this is Jeremy Allen, and I've left you several messages about working on my Lo-Power that's been acting up, but it seems like you've been out of town for quite some time. Anyway, an electrical engineer friend took a look inside the amp and would like to see the schematics so he can take a shot at fixing the---"

WW (picking up the phone, breathlessly): "Oh, hey there, yeah, uh, listen, don't...you don't want to do that. Tell you what, send me the amp tomorrow and I'll have it fixed and back to you by the end of the week."

And so he did. But I thought it was hilarious that he was ignoring me until I let someone who would know what's up take a look under the hood. There's even something in the manual about how the warranty is void if you ever take the top off the amp, which I'm sure has some mechanical basis (idiots like me can really do some damage) but which also serves to keep his "secrets" safe.

12. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    You are correct sir.

13. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I remember a couple decades ago that people were paranoid about reverse engineering, and it was not uncommon to scrape off part numbers. No offense to WW, but it degrades the quality of the product. The designer protects himself from someone stealing the design, at the expense of making the amp unrepairable long after the design ceases to be worth stealing.

The GK MB150 is an example of a modern solid state bass head with switching power supply and conventional output circuit. You can get one new for less than the asking price of that WW amp.

14. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Just had Walter tell me this on the phone:

"I can repair any product that I have made."

15. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Sure. I meant repairable by a third party. But if it's the maker's intention that he is the only guy who can repair the amp, and the customer is happy with that, then no problem.

16. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I wasn't trying to refute what you're saying; I was addressing concerns about his ability to repair older models.

The issue of what happens to these amps once Walter is no longer around... that is a bit unsettling.

17. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Unless Walter releases the schematics when he quits making the amps, their value will plummet. Who wants an unrepairable amp? He'd be smart to sell the designs at that point, or perhaps sell copyrighted books of schematics. But unless he sells the name, too, the deisgns will have little commercial value.

18. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Way to Go TBeers,
    Nothing better than good words direct from the horses mouth.
    That certianly puts my mind at ease. I would really be at a loss if
    Walter couldn't repair my current amps. Everyone can rest easy for now.

Ric

19. flatback

flatback Supporting Member

May 6, 2004
    Let me just defend Walter Woods a bit here guys. Yea all you say is true. But Walter Does pick up the phone and he does fix the amps and they ARE his design and there ARE a whole lot of creepy thieves out there who would steal his designs and take his living away. Walter is a recluse and an eccentric, and here it is deep into the new century and he still commands a space at the very top of the heap. His amps are still the **** this late in the game when there is a whole lot of options. He has always been super cool with me. I sure understand if he does not want to talk amps with everyone who calls...his waiting list would be six months longer.
    I just sold my Woods M100 8 to Bob (above) and I miss it. There is something in that sound that just makes you feel good when you are playing. And the fact that every damn one is made by his hands. He'll take care of his customers when he retires, don't worry. Meanwhile send the amps back to him for repair and let it go at that.

20. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    He is of course free to do business as he sees fit, and there is no shortage of people willing to buy his amps under those conditions.

I don't think anyone here is knocking Walter. We're just pointing out the consequences of his way of doing business. If you buy a WW amp, you will only be able to get it repaired so long as Walter decides to continue repairing them, and is around to do so.