1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MI Audio?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Snakeman1066, Aug 31, 2008.

1. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

anybody have any experience with this company and their products?

2. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    I have the Neo Fuzz. Nice, but not over the top.

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I've had both the GI and the Neo but haven't tried anything else from them.

Very solid fuzzes, they work well with actives and are pretty tweakable. The Neo is a more vintage sound while the GI is more aggressive sounding. I liked the Neo better but didn't up keeping either one.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've had both, and ended up keeping the Neo cos I wanted a more vintage,creamy fuzz.
    One usage note on the Neo/GI - you'll need to use them with dedicated adapter or isolated output supply like the Voodoo Labs.

5. David...Big O......What would you compare them to among other commercially available fuzz pedals?

6. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia
    I've had Crunch Box and Tubezone and still keep Classic Distortion. Never use them on bass, bass distortion is not for me. Good quality & value from a boutique maker.

7. I auditioned a Tubezone yesterday and found it to be excellent on bass, all the functions were very interactive, and could go from a Ampeg like thumb through to high gain Distortion, without it getting fuzzy or losing low end. I'm on the quest for the perfect distortion, and this is fairly high on my list.

8. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Hmm, that's pretty difficult because as far as I know, they are completely original/unique circuits. The closest comparison I can think of is the Big Muff for the Neo and the Frantone Bassweet for the GI. The BIG difference is that while both of those pedals have a pronounced mid scoop, the MI Audio pedals both emphasize the midrange. It's also hard to compare them because as fuzzes go, they are fairly versatile.

The Subdecay Flying Tomato is somewhat close to both, though I found it more nasally than the MI pedals.

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have a Blue Boy Deluxe...it's such a wonderful little pedal. I like it best for low gain/overdrive sounds. I love the Tubezone for high gain sounds and really want to get one for myself.

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I agree on the Neo comparison, it's in the ballpark of a big muff except with midrange. One of the knobs controls the midrange character of the sound, which helps greatly.
    I haven't tried a Basssweet, so can't compare to that. TBH I can't think of another fuzz I've tried that sounds like the GI. Subtle it ain't.
    I personally just couldn't get a sound I liked out of the FT.

11. This is the case with the Neo (positive tip needed) but the GI will play friendly with other boss style negative-tip pedals. At least for me........:ninja:

I have a GI myself - very cool pedal. The closest comparison I can come up with (given pedals I've owned) is probably half way between a boss metal zone (in terms of distorion tone) and a big muff (fuzz tone) - but a LOT more versatile than either.
    I especially like the ability to get a gated fuzz sound, by turning down the BIAS knob - sounds a bit like a dying battery - and gives a nasty sputtery fuzz. It's by far my fave setting.
    Apparently the Neo can do this too - as they're both the same circuit - just a difference in transistors.

Since getting this pedal - the Big muff has left the building......

12. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    The Neo doesn't require a positive tip, just an isolated ground. I use a negative tip connector with my Pedal Power 2 Plus with no issues.

Very nice fuzz that works great with passive and active basses by spinning the Load knob. It comes and goes on my board, but right now I'm back in love with it. Thick fuzz that can be subtle if you wish.

13. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    David, did you have a first or second generation Flying Tomato?

Because I've heard there was quite a difference between the two. I'm not a big FT proponent (I sent mine back within a week), just curious.

14. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    That is true, I should have mentioned it was a first gen. I've been meaning to try the second gen one but have been so happy with the Neo I've never gotten round to it.

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I also had the second generation FT....and also sent it right back....didn't dig it.