1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIA Fender Jazz String Tension Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sal4bass, Mar 15, 2009.

1. sal4bass

sal4bass

Feb 3, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Is string tension higher on the MIA Fenders when using through-body verses through-bridge stringing? Are there big sonic differences between the two way of stringing?

None of my Fenders use through-bridge stringing, so I am curious about string tension differences?

2. I have both a 2008 MIA Jazz and a Fender 70s MIM Jazz and I string the MIA through-body. I don't believe doing that changes the string tension, but it does increase the break angle of the strings to the saddles, which should improve the tone (higher break angle = string being forced down harder on saddle).

I wouldn't call the improvement "huge", but it is noticeable to my ears.

Roger

3. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    I don't notice any difference in feel, tone, tension, or anything else.

4. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    To my ears the tone/tension thing is non-detectable. The one thing I really dislike about string through is that it makes it really had to get strings on a tuned to pitch without getting the string twisted against itself. With a bridge through, I can put a string on, get it tuning up, and just before it gets taught against the bridge, I can give it a push back through the bridge to make sure it's not twisted -- can't do that with string through. Also string through puts much more stress on the strings at the witness point -- especially flats. I guess that's two things I don't like.

5. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I'll add a third to King Biscuit's list: One thing I don't like about going through the body is if your strings have silks at the tuner ends. I use Chromes, and I have to trim back the silks with a razor knife to keep them from sitting in the nut.

I'm at the point now where I'd just as soon string them through the bridge, especially since I can't detect any tonal advantages one way or the other.