Mic a bass cab or line out?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by smashingtime, Oct 10, 2011.

1. I have been using the line out on my Mesa M6, the cab is an old mesa powerhouse 412. Would it sound better if I mic'd the cab rather than just use the line out.
    If so, what mic would you recommend?

2. That is entirely up to you on which would sound better. Most cats will record a mic'd signal blended with direct. For live applications, most sound guys run line out unless you specify that you want your cab mic'd. I find that its more of a guitar thing to mic cabs (speaker characteristic, harmonics, etc). When you mic a bass, sure you are getting that "old school" feel, but really you are just allowing more noise to bleed into the FOH.

However, there is no right or wrong answer. IMO, clean bass = good sound.

3. How it sounds is subjective... and your choice really

I would be asking do I want to carry around a mic, mic stand, then have to worry about setting up an extra piece of equipment.

Take this from a guy who got a Line6 LD300 Combo cause it had everything in one package. I like my equipment inventory to be as small as possible.

4. stingraysvt

stingraysvt

Jun 20, 2011
    +1 Less is more

If your amp has tons of character like a SVT or B15, a Mic would be the best way to replicate this, but DI is super easy and offers identical results night after night.

I only use a mic when I use the SVT, all others are strictly a DI

5. The additional effort required to set up a mic is absolutely tiny.

I bet that amp/cab would sound absolutely great mic'd, but it's ultimately about what you think sounds better.

Mic/di sound is different enough that everyone should try it.

6. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    The sound you diall in on your amp might sound great to you in your practice space but not so much in a different large room.

Sound guys usually prefer a DI box right from the bass or pre EQ direct out off a head so they have more control over fitting you in the mix.

7. ThirstyMonkey

ThirstyMonkey

Jun 27, 2011
    He's right. I did live sound when I was in college and bass could be a real nightmare in certain "rooms." Now that being said, you can still EQ the mic'd sound failry easily, but it usually defeated the musician's purpose for using a mic on the cab in the first place.

In the end though, you'll have to just try it for yourself and see if you and your band like it. At the end of the day it's your sound and you have to be happy.

FYI--I go the lowdown 300 route myself since it allows for me to "color" my sound before sending the direct line to the PA mixer.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021