Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mic for bass cabs (AKG D112 vs. SM57)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by brock29609, Sep 8, 2004.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Which would be better to mic two bass cabs (210 + 112 + horn)?

AKG D-112 or Shure SM57?

This would mostly be for recording, but live performances as well. I'm looking for a punchy, cut-through-the-mix midrangy tone with not a lot of boomy bottom. I also use a lot of effect (wah, phaser, etc.), so I can get trebly at times.

Please only chime in if you have personal experience.

2. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Well if you're looking at Shure, check out the Beta 52. It's made for kick drums and bass cabs, so it can take the higher air pressure while keeping the great sound.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I've used both the 57 and the 112, and strongly prefer a Sennheiser 421 or an EV RE-20 for the sound you're describing.

But you mentioned miking two cabs? For recording that, I prefer a PZM a good distance away. Better yet, a pair of PZMs. Not for live, of course, close miking is your only viable option there.

4. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks, but my only two options are the AKG D112 and SM57. I do not have access to other kinds of mics. What does everyone have to say about these two options?

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Both the D112 and the 57 have been used successfully for miking bass cabs many, many times. If you want tight bottom, the 112 seems a little flabby to me (on my cabs, at least), but I've heard some nice recordings using it. You can always EQ too, of course. The 57 will hype mids a bit, but that may be good, given what you asked for.

Mike placement will make a substantial difference too. Try using both together as well. That's probably going to give you the most choices on tonality.

6. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I'd go with the D122 about 1 to 2 feet in front of and between both cabs.

Live, I would look into a DI...

one of my favorites on a bass cab is the AKG C4000B condenser

7. Check here, this question has been discussed in depth here!

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130220&highlight=mic+bass+cabs

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. I would agree with this statement, I wouldn't want to use the 57 by itself if I could avoid it but it does give a great sound when blended with a mic more specific to the low end. Try the 112 on the 12" and the 57 on a 10" speaker.

Live, definitely the D112.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd go with the 57. If it were an option, I'd go with a Beta 57A (that's what I use when I mic bass cabs).

10. I've used both together to good effect. The D112 right in front, and the SM57 actually behind.

Here are some examples, although I forget exactly what combinations were used on each song.

the eXperts

So in fact the point is if you use these two mics like this, you can achieve several cool bass sounds at the mixdown phase.

Some DI is mixed in there too. I think "Captain Fantasy" is pure DI, if you want to hear the contrast.