1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mic for home recording (Vlog, youtube videos)

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Sean Ormiston, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Sean Ormiston

Sean Ormiston

Feb 12, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Hey all,

Does anybody recommend a mic that does justice for a dark, arco bass? For use in video recording?

Highest quality, while being on a strict "home recording hobby" budget?

2. JAKBOUND

JAKBOUND

Dec 14, 2007
    Houston
    Look for a thread started by Chris Fitzgerald on this subject. Do a search with microphones with Chris as the poster. I have no idea how to copy the link on an iPad.
    It gives a good inexpensive option. I think it also has some links to samples.
    I just checked. It’s a line audio cm3. The thread has various samples and at the time the price was around 100usd. They are supplied from Sweden.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  3. Do have an audio interface to go with an XLR connected mic?
    Are you looking for a mic that plugs into a computer via USB?
    Do you want a mic to plug into the camera you are recording video with?

4. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Good catch @longfinger . I was about to make a couple recommendations, but I shouldn't assume an audio interface will be used.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  5. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007

AEA N22 or R84A.
    If you have a good quiet micpre with lots of gain then R84 or R88 works.

6. byrdzeye

byrdzeye

Mar 28, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    I've had good success with the Audio-Technica AT4041, miced about mid-upper bout. Sounds warm and full and has good detail. Yes, if you have the bucks and a serious mic pre, the AEA mics are terrific.

7. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Can’t say enough about a Peluso CEMC 6 variant of the Schoeps. Very resonably priced.

8. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I have some nicer AT's, and some cheaper MXL's. The MXL's do a very nice job for cost. The 990 model can be had super cheap. It's great value for the buck.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Longfinger's questions are good ones.

For direct into a camera I really like the Audio Technica AT2022.

AT2022.jpg (click to enlarge)

It's stereo x/y, has an AA battery in the middle to supply phantom power to itself, and terminates in a stereo 3.5mm jack that feeds directly into a video camera input. It can also be used as a single small diaphragm condenser by omitting the stereo adapter and just running a regular XLR cable into an XLR jack. I used this on most of my early bass technique videos and it sounds great. The mics even fold flat when not in use.

Lately I've taken to using different mics when recording the bass, but only because I like to track the audio and video separately and then sync them together. The Line Audio mics are the best low cost mics I've found for this and I plan to continue using them for the foreseeable future.

But truthfully, for video I don't think the highest quality gear is all that important. More important by far is understanding the gear you have an learning to get the most out of the signal chain at your disposal, especially once you get past the bottom of the barrel gear. As with playing the bass, a great player can make an decent inexpensive bass sound brilliant while a person who doesn't really have it together could sound awful on a $40K masterpiece instrument.

10. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Nice, I may need this soon.

Ric

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021