1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mic stand recommendations

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by ttyR2, Apr 4, 2009.

1. ttyR2

ttyR2

Feb 23, 2003
    Athena, OR
    I'm looking for some new mic stands to use in a church environment. Black is preferred, must be solid and able to put up with non-professional use (i.e. people who aren't easy on gear).

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Most of the basic brands are OK, and cheap enough to replace. I recommend getting the ones with a heavy round metal base though, as they are less likely to get bent up, tripped on, and knocked over by clumsy users, compared to the folding-tripod-leg type.

3. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Cpompared to round base stands, the foldable tripod base stands are easier to store and move. If you go with the solid base stands, you might take a look at stackable stands (K&M makes a couple versions).

4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Tripods are steady, especially with a boom. But they take up a LOT of stage real estate. Round base are compact on stage, but take up a lot of storage space, and can be tipped by an extended boom with too little counterweight. A good compromise is a "stackable round base" like these with a heavily weighted boom:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend....ne-Stand-with-Stackable-Round-Base?sku=450476

There's a wide range of brand quality ... I consider K&M, Hercules, and Ultimate toward the top end, and On-Stage toward the lower end. The differences being mostly in the amount of normal wear and tear they'll take before clutches start to slip.

Really, for a permanent setup in a church, you probably won't need to pop for the top of the line stuff as it won't be getting banged around in a road case all the time.

5. jimccolorado

jimccolorado

Feb 16, 2009
    Love my Ultra mic stand.

6. DaveLS

DaveLS

Sep 5, 2008
    Massachusetts