1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Michael Anthony

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by maniacmetalhead, Mar 12, 2008.

1. maniacmetalhead

maniacmetalhead

Jun 4, 2007
    The Van Halen debut album is awesome.How can I get such a tone?Does anyone know what kind of gear he used?

2. Qvist

Qvist

Jul 20, 2007
    Denmark
    The man tried to play a bottle of tabasco, and the man succeeded!

3. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    He speaks the truth.

4. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Ps, Js and an SVT

5. SkulliesBass

SkulliesBass Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Long Island N.Y.
    I came across this thread just as I was listening to Van Halen I with just my right IPOD earphone in! Awesome bass tone, crystal clear with little or no guitar. A P-bass with a pick through an Ampeg, just awesome. Much better than Van Halen II.

6. I'd swear I heard an interview with Gene Simmons that VH I and II are from the same recording session. He found them in a bar, whisked them away to a studio and ended up with all of those tracks.

7. Didn't he play a Yamaha BB?

8. Peaved

Peaved Peeved? No. Peavey? Yes.

May 1, 2008
    California
    Nah, Simmons was out before the first album because he wanted to call the band Daddy Longlegs and they wisely rejected that idea. There was two years between the albums.

9. wld3

wld3

Jun 22, 2008

All I remember about MA was his on-stage binge drinking and that super-sucky "solo" on the 5150 tour video. link

Of course, you could always write to him and ask him yourself. (Though I don't think he's a big Van Halen fan these days himself.)

10. That solo is comedy gold.

11. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    The most talented thing MA did was sing harmony OVER Sammy Hagar. Incredible.

12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Boy, he's got good balance and agility for being so drunk onstage. I'd have fallen over after the first couple of steps.

Just ask anyone who's seen my band! :bag:

This is 'comedy gold'. the look on Sammy's face as MA was downing the whisky was priceless.

13. Peaved

Peaved Peeved? No. Peavey? Yes.

May 1, 2008
    California
    Maybe that was ice tea in the bottle? :meh:

14. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Yes he did.

15. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    HIlarious and pathetic at the same time. To me, he's a perfect example of what NOT to do.

16. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    I played bass on a cruise ship gig for several months in 1991. On one of those cruises, Michael Anthony was a "guest" (industry term for "passenger"). When the band discovered Michael was on board, we invited him to come to one of the crew parties that was going on Saturday night below decks. I was psyched; figured it'd be my chance to talk bass with a guy who's done it on the biggest stages around the world.

Micheal shows up at the party with two blonde babes on either arm, and we're all like "Dude! Alright, check out Michael Anthony, he's got two hotties! Yeah, rock'n'roll! Woo-hoo!" But it quickly becomes apparent that these two girls were holding Michael up. He arrived at our party completely schidtfaced, incapable of standing up without the assistance of two human crutches, and barely able to say more than "hi" or "yeah" without drooling, slurring, or falling asleep.

I can't fault him, he was on vacation after all...

17. Rich L

Rich L

May 17, 2006
    Ft Myers, FL
    Don't remember when or where I heard it, but I thought Eddie played guitar AND bass tracks on one of their albums...any truth to this???

18. tapehead

tapehead

May 27, 2008
    I think that was mostly VH III where Ed played alot of bass...I'm sure he has on a few songs on previous albums

19. Hamrhed

Hamrhed

Dec 26, 2007
    Ky
    Actually Gene produced the demo that led to their contract w/ Warner... Ted Templeman produced the first Van Halen albums...

20. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Good rock bassist and GREAT backup singer. I really liked his playing on "Poundcake" (and the fact you could finally hear him again after being invisible on the earlier Van Hagar albums).