Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Michael kelly acoustic???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by budreau, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Has anyone owned or played a Michael kelly? My lovin' wife ordered one for me for Christmas. (not in yet, dammit) Quilt maple body 5 string acoustic with fishman electronics. The fingerboard inlays look pretty outrageous. I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I gotta wonder how they can build these with all the glitz for 500 bucks. Can anybody tell me if this will be a usable item?

2. Very nice basses. Only drawback is that they are 32" scale. Do a search as there are many threads about these basses already.

3. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i liked the 5 string fretless that i played in a store once

very, very narrow string spacing.

4. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I have one. It's definitely usable and can sound quite good in fact. Mine is a four string fretted with tapewound strings. I have used it live with great success. The reason the five strings have tight spacing is because I believe they are the exact same bodies as the four strings with five strings put on them. In my opinion they are fun basses to play around on.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They used to be 32" scales, but they redid their bracing to be able to support a full 34" scale.

Very true, they're very nice basses. I almost bought one til I found the strangest Brownsville ABG ... strange because it actually sounded good :)

6. Desire

Desire

Jul 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Heard a guy at the local store play one, sounded really nice and those dragonfly inlays are gorgeous. I reasonably sure you'll really enjoy it. Almost bought one myself (and will probably get one in the near future) but instead went for a Schecter C4.

7. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    there is a review of them in the new bass guitar mag that says nothing but good things about them.

8. who replied! From all the user reviews I could find these seem to be a lovem or hatem type of bass. The guitar should be in today or tomorrow, so I guess I'll know soon enough. At least I know the thing will be pretty. After all, To quote Bully Crystal, "It is better to look good than to feel good".