1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

michael manring question

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Fred19137, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Fred19137

Fred19137

Jan 23, 2009
    active musician
    for michael, or anyone who knows his work what is the tuning in come with me my love. I am confused because some open notes( conflict with the harmonics) are you changing tuning durring the song? If you could tell me I would thank you forever.:)

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You might want to post this in the Lawson/Manring forum, I'm not sure how often he checks the general technique forum.

3. Fred19137

Fred19137

Jan 23, 2009
    active musician
    how do i move this and how do i post in that forum.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I'll move it for you

5. erix

erix

Sep 24, 2005
    Washington DC
    For sure, he is continuously changing the tuning of his bass while he is playing, even during the same song, that's part of his own style.
    Not only it is effective from the resulting sound perspective but it is also visually impressive.

6. Fred19137

Fred19137

Jan 23, 2009
    active musician
    well I know some of his songs he does change the tunings and others he does not. I am really starting to get the feeling he is changing the tunings durring the song because the lowest note he plays conflicts with the harmonics he plays. so maybe he is. And if it is that case I was just wondering what the initial tuning is. thank you very much.

7. Fred, here are the tuning changes as lsited in the Solioquy Extended Notes that are used on the track 'Come with me my love'. Michael plays this one on his main Zon Custom Sonus/ Hyperbass hybrid. This should point you in the right direction.

F A♭ E♭ A♭
    E♭ A♭ E♭ A♭
    E♭ A♭ D♭ A♭
    F A♭ D♭ A♭

8. Fred19137

Fred19137

Jan 23, 2009
    active musician
    thanks i will definately use that! :)

9. Fred19137

Fred19137

Jan 23, 2009
    active musician
    is there a video somewhere I could see. I can do without, but it will make things quiker and easier since I might try to play it a different position than michael does.

10. Fred19137

Fred19137

Jan 23, 2009
    active musician
    for a bit now and I seem to have most of it. Thanks for the tuning, that really helped. Maybe in a few months I will try to get all of the song. right now I have most of the song but there just a few parts I can't play because I cannot change tunings like him acurately mid-song. I was smart enough to change some of the harmonics to chords so that I could make the same sound without changing the tuning. However, I realized I could not do this for all the parts because the blurriness of notes that the harmonics easily side step. The hardest part for me was finding the harmonics. they don't work like regular notes where going up the neck will always produce a higher note. It is almost always the opposite. But I took my time and now I have my own abrigded version, not as good but good enough for this point in my music career. Thanx for all the help.

I wish you could teach me some stuff one on one michael manring but I know how valuable your time is and how I should wait until I am much better to begin even contemplating asking such a thing. So I guess I am saying that I really admire you, as a musician and a hero to look up to and to aspire to be.

11. deckard

deckard

Apr 4, 2003
    Seattle
    This may be obvious and/or already known to you, but I just thought I'd mention it:

Michael uses Hipshot Xtender tuning keys on all 4 strings of his Zon Custom Sonus/ Hyperbass hybrid (aka "Junior")... as well as on his Zon Hyperbass.

This is how he can change tunings so quickly and accurately during his compositions.

Being extremely talented and practicing for 1000's of hours over decades doesn't hurt either...

;)

12. betarparliament

betarparliament

May 9, 2009
    Ireland
    I am a beginner. Considering to buy a 4 string Bass within 1000 USD price range. Liked both ESP LTD AX-404 & Fender Jazz Bass 24. Plz advice

13. Fred19137

Fred19137

Jan 23, 2009
    active musician
    well being a beginner I would not advise using all that money. Get a cheap bass and make sure that you like the instrument. I have seen quite a few people buy expensive instruments just to decide it was not for them.