1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Michael Wolf Method Book

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by koricancowboy, Feb 29, 2008.

1. koricancowboy

koricancowboy Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    chicago
  2. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    I bought it last summer. Wolf discusses many topics in a very interesting manner. Lots of practical solutions .

I highly reccomend it. It is in German and english side by side so the length is a bit misleading.

3. Ludwig

Ludwig

Aug 17, 2006
    Germany
    M. Wolf recommends a lot of things not matching with traditional technique, like different standing position or use of 4 fingers in half tone steps. I prefer the traditinal Simandl technique.

4. koricancowboy

koricancowboy Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    chicago
    The longer I play and more I learn, the more I see that one method can't work for everything. Different perspectives open up the possibilities of advancing the instrument even further. I just ordered it, thanks for the observations Ludwig and G-force.

Les Fret likes this.
  5. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Hey, I though Michael Wolf was a smooth jazz pianist. Oh yeah, Wolff.

6. Dave Whitla

Dave Whitla

Apr 25, 2006
    Ireland
    I don't think the alternative things he talks about (like using 4 fingers) are necessarily at odds with more traditional technique. His bottom line is to play musicially, in tune, and with a beautiful bass sound.

7. stefaniw80401

stefaniw80401 Supporting Member

May 18, 2004
    Evergreen, Colorado
    I'm trying to develop his standing behind the bass posture and having difficulty getting the hang of the balance. Does his book cover this sufficiently?