1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Microphone preamp advice

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by dancrocker, Dec 20, 2011.

1. dancrocker

dancrocker

May 18, 2009
    Hi All,

I am using a Presonus 16.4.2 in a church application. It has two stereo AUX returns that I'd like to use as either Mic inputs or for a keyboard and an acoustic guitar. I actually only need mono inputs but I'm not familiar enough with the console to know if I can use both sides of the stereo return separately. In any case, two more inputs would be better than none.
    For the mic application, I assume I would need external mic preamps. I'm also assuming that the mic preamps would be useful for connecting instruments but I'm actually not sure if they would be necessary.

So, I'd like recommendations on cost effective mic preamps. Two or four individual ones would work if they are small. Of course, a box with multiple preamps would probably be more convenient. I can probably only afford to spend a couple of hundred for each.
    Thanks,
    Dan

2. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
  3. dancrocker

dancrocker

May 18, 2009
    Thanks for the quick response. I'll check out the preamps.

You're right that for the instrument application, the signals should be line level so perhaps this means I can simply connect them directly. But I still wouldn't mind having a few extra inputs available for mics.

Dan

4. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    I've been thinking about getting the ART single preamp just to use on my pedalboard with my bass. It gets some decent reviews and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Even though you don't "need" a tube pre for keys, you might want to do that anyway. If you have ever hear the Korg gear that has a 12AX7 preamp built in, they are amazing. The effect isn't this hugely obvious thing, but the tube does add some smoothness and warmth to digitally produces sounds. For $30 you can't go wrong.

5. dancrocker

dancrocker

May 18, 2009
    Yeah, I might try that ART as well (I do sound and play bass). It is cheap and might be fun to mess with.
    I looked at all the links you sent and the presonus box actually looks pretty nice if I really end up being able to use more than two inputs.

6. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    I would just get another small mixer. Run the mixer outs or tape outs, into aux returns, or a channel line input.
    If running live system mono, either side of a stereo aux return works. Mixers are line out, auxes accept line level in.

7. I like the M-Audio AudioBuddy.
    Super high signal to noise ratio: 120 dB (forget where I saw this spec)
    Super flat frequency response: 20-20kHz, +/- 0.11dB
    Super low THD+N: 0.00041%
    XLR and 1/4" inputs.
    Phantom power for mics.
    Super low price: $80.
    M-Audio AudioBuddy