1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mid-Level 5'er Recommendations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Resonance129, May 2, 2018.

1. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    I'm looking for a good mid-level 5-string bass I can use for gigging. I bought a Squier VM Jazz V a while back as my first 5'r and simply don't like it much, but found that when I play certain models in the big box stores, I take to them much better. Planning to sell the Squier and a few other things pretty soon to upgrade.

I have an idea of what I'm looking for but want to be sure I'm not missing out on any jewels, so I figured I'd ask for some input from you lovely folks. I play in a covers band and the material ranges from popular 50's stuff, up through the decades, to current music; mostly pop/dance, but with some rock and country mixed in, depending on venue and how the BL reads the crowd.

Things to consider:
    - Between $500 - $700, if possible, but willing to stretch a bit
    - Modern tone
    - Active with an EQ bypass
    - Relatively narrow neck/nut width/string spacing
    - 2 pickups preferred
    - Multi scale or 35" scale not mandatory, but I AM curious about both options

The 2 basses that immediately come to mind would be either another Warwick RB Corvette, this time a 5-string $$, or one of the mid-range SR Ibanez models. But if you know of other models that fit those parameters and hold their own in a live setting, I'd love to know about em.

So, that said, what say you, TB?

2. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Willing to go used? If so, keep your eyes peeled. Very recently GC had a 5 string German Proline Corvette 5 for $650.

3. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I've been really happy with my G&L L2500 tribute that I bought used for $500. It hits almost all of your points. It is a little on the heavy side but not uncomfortable. The spacing is 17mm which feels good to me (I've been playing 16.5mm warwicks for years now). The neck is a touch beefy but so is my 05 wick fna jazzman 5-string so I don't mind.

Luigir, osonu, Badwater and 1 other person like this.
  4. TMcMan

TMcMan

May 7, 2015
    Vermont
    Check out the new Yamaha BB735a - they're a PJ config and have an active/passive switch.

5. MAXSPINRUN

MAXSPINRUN Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Knoxville, Tn
    Sire V7 5er 599! Checks all your boxes. I have a 4 string and love it.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I am partial to my TMB605. It has offshore Nordstrand pickups, a two band eq with bypass.

7. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    Definitely willing to go used. And a Proline Vette for $650 is pretty durn good. Gonna go look into that right now.
    Thanks for the heads up.

8. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    I've never played a G&L, but constantly hear good things about em. 17mm-18mm string spacing is just about perfect, and I like beefy necks (I guess that's part of why Warwicks feel so comfortable to me). I gotta give G&L a try. Just seemingly hard to find in any stores around me.
    Thanks for the recommendation.

Luigir, klokker and Reedt2000 like this.
  9. Boom762

Boom762 I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Alpine, TX
    For that price, Spector would be alright. Maybe going with the Carvin BK5 kit?

10. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    I was really interested in that model when it came out. Still am. I'm hesitant about the P/J configuration as the P/J's I've played aren't necessarily capable of getting the more modern tone I'd need. But I haven't yet played an active P/J, and maybe with different pups and an EQ tweak, I could find something that would work.
    Either way, that model is on my "GAS" list for later. Maybe just for a different project.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

11. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    Haven't checked string spacing on those, but the neck and spacing on the 5 string J I have isn't ideal. And if it's anything like that, I don't think I'd like it. I'll definitely do more research on that model, but of the Sire models, I'd be more interested in the M7. I've looked into the M7 a bit and like it, but the thing has so many knobs and pots... Definitely not a deal-breaker, but it just seems excessive lol.
    Regardless, thanks for the suggestion.

Mili likes this.
  12. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    I'd have to play around with one. Again, that P/J config could be a deal breaker, but maybe not. I need to give it more of a chance before I rule it out.
    Thanks for your input.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  13. Bass Man Dan

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Yeah, it was not listed as a pro line. But it was a red one, flamed maple top, gold hardware, stacked knob on the tone. Truss cover said pro line. It was a pro line. But I think it sold.

14. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    I LOVE the Spector tone I hear when other people play em, but the Spector I had before was not my cup of tea at all. Sold it not too long after I got it. It wasn't their highest tier model by any means, but the feel of it was just not very good. I'd like to try a nicer one but, again, they can be hard to come by in a store anywhere.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

15. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    Aww damn :sour:. Sounds like it would've been right up my alley.
    Oh well lol... The hunt continues.

Bass Man Dan likes this.
  16. Bass Man Dan

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    If i see another, I'll let you know!

Resonance129 likes this.
  17. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    Much appreciated :thumbsup:

Bass Man Dan likes this.
  18. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    There was a G&L JB5 in the classifieds that I wish I sprung for. Lake Placid blue, not a scratch on it and an added pre in it to go active or passive $1,100 asking which is a little over your budget but gorgeous bass.

Good luck

19. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Inactive

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody notices
    The Warwick would probably be pretty nice for what you're going for, but I love my SR605. They don't make them anymore, but there are a few models above and below this model number that would be around the same thing. Great 5th tension, thin smooth neck profile, and I was able to get the action very guitar like. Very modern tone. They changed this model for the 650. They switched the pick up config to a PJ, instead the soapbars. But, I love mine.
    20180216_174126.jpg 20180217_122746.jpg

Badwater likes this.
  20. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The Nordstrand pickups and active eq are hot and push this bass closer to modern territory than most PJ’s.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021