1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Middle Finger too Long

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by topaxi, Oct 9, 2018.

1. redwingxix

redwingxix Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    Wow. I guess I never really looked at my fingers too carefully before, but my index is close to an inch shorter than my middle and my pinky is almost two inches shorter than the middle. I do often alternate index and ring finger picking for faster stuff, but I guess I always thought I was doing that to give my middle finger a rest. If I was playing trickier stuff regularly I could see that being a problem.

Best advice I can give is to look at your fingers when they are curled up with the nailsp pointing toward you. Then they are all the same length. \m/

2. Bassique

Bassique

Feb 25, 2015
    Finland
    Yea I think that's a common "problem", my middle finger is quite bit longer than my index finger too. So I notice I use my index more often than my middle finger. But with enough practise you should be able to get them pretty balanced, in terms of playability and tone.

3. OogieWaWa

OogieWaWa

Mar 17, 2013
    Oak Harbor, OH
    Sure makes doing double stops and 1-5-8 plucking/chords easy, I do that a lot, too. So it's an advantage!
    3 piece band, everything helps.

topaxi likes this.
  4. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Lungoarnese.

topaxi and FugaziBomb like this.
  5. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Finger drumming on a flat surface when you're otherwise unoccupied will perhaps annoy your friends, but it will get your left hand trained into the proper arch.

Lobster11 and ObsessiveArcher like this.
  6. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Possibly you have "exercised" your middle finger over the years with Olympic quality extensions.

Really........thinking of surgery?

topaxi likes this.
  7. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Unless you're an aye-aye, you'll be fine :)
    ayeaye2.

topaxi and ObsessiveArcher like this.
  8. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    Isn't this is normal for virtually every person on the planet?

Bob_Ross, topaxi and aprod like this.
  9. BigBear77

BigBear77 Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2017
    11327078-6C6B-47C8-B812-41639A4B06EF.

topaxi likes this.
  10. Paul M

Paul M

Jul 21, 2005
    I have long middle finger. And the same situation arose when I tried to learn Donna Lee. Without even being aware of it, I gradually switched to using my index and ring finger. This might be considered bad form but it works for me. I can pluck faster, stronger and, more accurately.

topaxi likes this.
  11. See if you can get a job trimming sheet metal at the place where Toni Iommi worked.

topaxi and mikewalker like this.
  12. aprod

aprod

Mar 11, 2008
    Everyone’s middle finger is the longest, basic anatomy.

topaxi likes this.
  13. rocu

rocu

Jan 28, 2015
    Missoula, MT
    Stay away from my girlfriend.

topaxi and Jase The Bass like this.
  14. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    Long middle fingers are very useful for controlling traffic.

topaxi and Jase The Bass like this.
  15. My apologies if this is a serious post...BUT.. BUAHAHAHAHA OMG... ok deep breath... ahhhh....BUAHAHAHAHA

topaxi likes this.
  16. BUAHAHAHA, This is the funniest posts I've seen in a long time. Y'all got me gut bustin ova here.

topaxi likes this.
  17. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    So obviously you need to lop off the end of your index finger to make them the same length, right?

[Hope you don't mind a little gallows humor....]

Jase The Bass and topaxi like this.
  18. NeckPickup

NeckPickup Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Boca Raton, FL
    I nearly started a thread with the same question a while back, as I wanted to increase the fluidity of my plucking hand, given a short index finger. My solution: just keep practicing and practicing, with the goal of always alternating fingers and being able to start a run with either finger. I found that my brain and body naturally compensated without consciously making any adjustments and my playing got faster and more balanced in attack. My point is that by focusing on the goal and not on forcing a specific positional adjustment, my body and brain found the best technique and “path of least resistance”. I can’t tell you specifically what changed in my technique, if anything, just that I play better now.

topaxi likes this.
  19. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Press your middle and index fingertips to the desk in front of you. Adjust your wrist position to where the two fingers are near equally bent with equal pressure on the desk. Try attacking your strings with your wrist and fingers from this 'posture'. Raise/lower your elbow to make the angle of your wrist as effortless as possible

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  20. topaxi

topaxi

Sep 29, 2018
    Thanks for everyone's replies! I know it's a weird thread and I appreciate everyone taking the time to comment :D

Thanks for the video! That's actually really helpful. Plus the guy has a great accent.

The index/ring thing I might try as a last resort if I'm still not getting this in a few months. I've already put in a lot of work training my index and middle finger, they're calloused up, and know most of what I want them to do. But it's handy to have this as an option! I didn't think about doing this.

Yeah, I've been alternating seeing how I feel with curving the fingers vs angling them Clark style. I had been doing the angle thing subconsciously before now, but it wasn't feeling super ergonomic on the more technical stuff. I didn't realise Clark did that! It's good to know a killer player can use this technique.

Nothing wrong with a bit of backyard finger surgery.

:O That story freaked me out! I never realised

Haha not so much of a "what can I do about this" type thread, but more of a "can anyone relate" type thread. It just feels super weird when I try to play now, and I wanted to know if this was a normal part of bass-learning :p

Haha practice is always the key! Yeah, I'll keep at it. Thanks!

Fergie Fulton likes this.