Midi bass! What do you use?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MacMiahans, Jan 13, 2015.

1. This is basically just for people who are using some type of midi bass system and actually like it.

What are you using? What's your setup?

Currently I'm using a Roland GR-55 with the external pickup. I'll be upgrading and getting the internal pickup put into my 80's Peavey Foundation hopefully sometime this year. I'm running it through my Peavey Mark IV amp. I love it... I get an amazing amount of tonal control and I really enjoy being able to throw in the synth capabilities.

For a while I was also running a Line6 BassPod XT Live with it through the guitar in/out... which meant 3 separate cables coming off my bass, it was weird and a little hectic, but I was able to do some crazy stuff with it.

2. I use a alesis q49 midi controller that sends midi to a korg tr rack(rack version of the korg trinity) then send a 1/4 cable from the tr rack to my digitech jamman and a cheap imp2 di. I record samples to the jamman. I've thought about getting a sonuus b2m just for fun. But using the jamman is cool cause i can sample parts and switch samples pretty fast all while playing bass over it. Using midi pickups and convertors the midi is the same notes. But using the jamman i can have multiple different parts (not just different sounds) going on because I'm playing bass and can overdub samples like crazy on the jamman. Another nice thing is once the samples are recorded to the jamman i don't have bring any additional gear. I mostly make the samples at home while playing along to demos from practice so i never have to drag the midi controller around.

3. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I tried using the MIDI output on my VB-99 to trigger MIDI instruments but the latency was just a bit much to be useful. I tried the B2M as well but that was worse. How do go dealing with latency?

4. philipgannon

philipgannon

May 2, 2014
    Ireland
    GK3B to Roland GI20.
    - GI20 Bass out to ABY Pedal.
    - GI20 Midi out to a DSI Mopho, then left/mono out into the ABY pedal.
    - - FS6 changes Mopho patches
    - - EXP Pedal controls Mopho on-board filter

ABY to pedal board and then into DI Box.

Latency is an interesting problem at times, but you learn to adjust your playing/timing accordingly.
    Ghost notes can also be an issue, but with practice and a lot of conscious effort you can work around it.

Currently wanting to replace the ABY pedal with a mini-mixer for double synth/bass goodness.

5. That's an interesting setup. I need to get some different synth modules to chain out to. I might have to check out the Mopho.

6. philipgannon

philipgannon

May 2, 2014
    Ireland
    The Mopho is pretty awesome, but requires a little bit of tweaking (and an PC Patch creator/Editor) to make the most of it. On-board editing is pretty tedious.

I'd love to go for a more 'knobby' synth (Korg Radias/Roland JP8080/etc...) to make tweaking even easier.

If you're looking for a cheap module to start with, I've had great results with the Volca Bass...

7. I'll look into it. Thanks.

8. Can you guys show pics of the setups?

9. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Inactive

Mar 10, 2003
  10. philipgannon

philipgannon

May 2, 2014
    Ireland
    I've heard great things about the IndustrialRadio Bass.
    Unfortunately they are neither short-scale nor remotely affordable!

Which Sonuus unit did you use? Reading reviews online, it would seem that the I2M yields better results than the B2M?

11. iusemidi

iusemidi

Jan 23, 2015
    Littleton, CO
    Godin A4 into a Roland GI-20 interface
    then into my GR33

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021