1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIDNIGHT OIL

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by PilbaraBass, Jan 9, 2005.

1. I caught them on the television yesterday. It was a rerun of a concert that they played at the Sydney opera house. That P-bass sounded HUGE!!! Tight and punchy and very much like the recordings (even on crappy broadcast TV).

I always loved the driving sounds that this guy would put out.

Question is, who IS this guy?

2. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    They've had a pretty stable lineup but have changed bassists a couple times.
    It was either Peter Gifford (early 80s) or Bones Hillman (late 80s onward).

I saw them live in 1998 or thereabouts. Awesome live band, they really delivered a wallop.

3. :) That's Peter Gifford guys - Bones was a bit later although I couldn't nail it exactly of the top of my head :meh: They
    were always very particular about their sound and could ALWAYS reproduce what they recorded with equal authority live, proud of them.
    Ampeg rig I thought by the look of it - see the perspex sheets either side of Rob Hirst? Rotsey pulls a mean sound from a Ric
    too eh?
    It was excellant to hear some early stuff and even better that they played it with the same passion I saw their at early gigs :bassist:

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That bass run at the end of "The Power and the Passion" still blows me away to this day.

5. :cool: Yep though I still think the first album hit like George Forman - check out Stand In Line.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Everything I've ever heard from these guys is magic. I love Midnight Oil. "Breathe" is my favorite record of theirs I think. I may be missing one of their first records though.... There's a fantastic retrospective video of them, I bought a PAL converting all-region DVD player just to watch it.

7. Kinda odd...

I heard the Burning Beds song yesterday for the first time in years...

8. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    The live album, "Scream in Blue", is a great recording of a fantastic live band. Check the really cool bass work at the end of "Dreamworld", one of my favorite songs.

9. I really dug the way they kept the standard up while still exploring diff sounds/feels, love it all - but Head Injuries still does it for me - both the record and the attitude at the time.
    They inspired us to be independant / original way back then.

If you've got the album - the foto on the back isn't exactly
    staged - more a reflection of what happened as far as the vibe on the street went :D ah well they deserved it we all
    thought then with royalties a pittance .......... of course it did make it a tad harder for those next into the breach of recording :rollno:
    What the hell they were right and everone was breaking the molds and changing the rules back then, and it needed it too :cool: