1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Might be getting a Fender American Standard Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassguitarthund, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Question for all my fellow bass players out there. I am looking at a brand new Fender American Standard Jazz bass!! Ash Body with hand rubbed amber stain and rosewood fret board.

They are asking $1299.99 for it. If I go in with cash in hand what would be a fair amount to offer for it? Also would it be worth picking up the pro coverage,
    3 Years: $179.99 / 2 Years: $154.99 ?

Just wanted to get your thoughts :)

2. ChuckTrucks

ChuckTrucks

Jul 28, 2012
    Dont ever buy any pro coverage. They are just charging you 150 bucks or whatever to send it in for warranty.

3. Ok I just saw that on the Fender Web Site. I see the store also has a $100 rebate program, although it says can not be used in conjunction with other coupons. I see MSRP on the Fender site is $1749.99. I understand MSRP and street price are two different things. I really fell in love with this bass but I do not want to spend more than I have to on it either. I always wanted to get a new American made Jazz or American Peavey Cirrus. Fell in love with this Jazz as soon as I played it. Like it was calling to me, lol. I have become friends with some of the employees there, so I am hoping that will work to my advantage.

Kinda what I was thinking about the additional coverage but thought I would run that by also.

4. jwj1701

jwj1701

Nov 17, 2011
    Lexington KY
    Just be sure to check on that warranty. And if you buying local you may get a year from them as opposed to GC or a large chain. As for haggling price, you'll just have to ask. We have one here in town that will not come off the price on the tag. When it's all said and done your gonna love that standard no matter what you pay. Forgot about the sonic boom promotion, might be tough getting much more than the rebate though

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'm not sure about the Fender Rebate thing. I was noticing that the AVRI's are now listed at $1399 w/ the rebate reflected in the price. I'm 99% sure that they were $1399 before the rebate started...suggesting that they jacked up the price $100 and give you a "rebate" to promote sales right now. I could be wrong.

Where are you hoping to purchase this from? If GC, cash in hand will make little to no difference to them. They may take $10 off and they'll make you fell like they're bending over backwards to do it.

If any other store, ask them what is the best they can do...then go back and fourth until you're happy. If you're not against buying online, give Sweetwater a call. They will usually hook you up pretty good.

6. I looked at musicians friend and sweetwater. Sweetwater's online price was $40 or 50 cheaper, don't remember right now. I did not call them though. I have not seen this finish though at any other online place or store? Not even on the Fender web page. I am wondering if it is one of those deals where they did a special run for GC or if it is just because it is so new? I really dig the finish on it. I might just give Sweetwater a call. See what they can do for pricing on a standard. See if they can get that finish. Then go to GC and see what they can do. I have become friends with a couple of the guys that work there. They had hooked me up before so I am wondering what they would do for me. Also thought about just going in with say a grand and see if they would take that? Don't know if that is a fare amount though to ask them to come down? I really like that one. Played it and loved everything about it.

7. ckdhaven

ckdhaven

Jul 19, 2012
    Cedar Rapids IA
    If you are buying from GC.. Check their daily coupons on the internet... Some days the "sneak in" a one day only 10-15% discount on larger ticket items....

8. Gotcha!!

9. I saw they have a 100 coupon

10. heyitsamike

heyitsamike

Aug 9, 2011
    love my fender standard american jazz bass :D its so pretty

11. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    If you see the bass advertised cheaper somewhere else GC will match the price plus 10%. I Think with the $100 Fender rebate deal american standard are $1199. Though the natural hand rubbed basses are a GC special (I think?) so matching another price might be a moot point. I would think they could knock at least $50 though to seal a deal.

On a side note those basses are sweet. I played the P bass version with the natural finish/maple neck and it was the bees knees. I would have bought it if I didn't already love my P basses.

Either way good luck!