1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mighty Mite necks and bodies

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by usurperbass, Jan 6, 2012.

1. usurperbass

usurperbass

May 1, 2009
    Hudson Valley,NY
    ebay seller bassrocker32,bassist/guitarist for Glory Bound & sessions
    I am looking to build a jazz style bass and been looking at MightyMite maple neck and swamp ash body,are their products good? I have been buying" off the rack" for years, but I do have a Frankinbass in my collection that I have used live and in the studio. Looking to do a better build. Thanks.

2. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    their necks are decent, they have always worked well for what i needed them for.
    i have never used their bodies before, but i would imagine they would be similar quality.
    for the price point, they are hard to beat.

3. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I have had good luck with Mighty Mite stuff since the 80's. I usually use WD and Allparts necks and bodies when people want parts or mods, but the mighty mite stuff has always been right on par with them. I wouldn't hesitate on a MM build if I did parts builds.

4. Sollie7

Sollie7

Mar 13, 2011
    Woodstock, Ga
    I have a mighty mite pbass neck and its great better then most fenders Ive played

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Mighty Mite bodies and necks are high quality. I have used them many times.

6. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    I have a MM jazz neck. It's light, it's unfinished--no clear coat, balanced well, no weird spots or fretboard issues. The quality is good & it's inexpensive but somehow it feels inexpensive. It's not a Marcus Miller neck or Geddy Lee neck.

7. Hey guys, what do you think, Im building this Jazz bass I just got the Mighty Mite Swamp ash body which is very smooth and sealed, could I leave it as is or does it look too unfinished , I like the look but what do you think, any ideas are welcome for further development

IMG_0384.

IMG_0386.

IMG_0385.

8. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I built a p-bass like that jazz. I finished it with tung oil mixed with mineral spirits.

p-bass5%20008.

It got sold to a talkbass member

9. wow thats eerily similar mate...

10. did you have to use grain filler or anything with the oil ?

11. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    nope.

12. so buy some tung oil and rub it on ?

13. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
  14. thanks Ric5

15. ojakov

ojakov

Nov 16, 2011
    Hi, guys..

I'm building jazz stile bass as well. Transparent red. I'm going to put P-style maple neck on it. Everything is from MM.

My question is about hardware.

Is it worth trying to install expensive stuff (badass bridge, nice bone nut, expensive tuning machines) or I can go with mighty mite parts which are cheaper. I mean that the wood is probably not the best pick. It's still high quality wood, but you get what you are paying for..

So, does expensive stuff will make the difference on MM wood, or I can go with MM parts all the way and still get appropriate tone?