1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIJ J-Bass - bridge and pickup covers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by somnar, Mar 27, 2009.

1. somnar

somnar

Mar 27, 2009
    Longtime lurker, first time poster. Great site!

Just got a MIJ Fender Jazz bass, JP75 (1975 reissue) model. I've played p-basses for years and really wanted a Jazz bass. I love the new bass.

I have a set of the chrome pickup and bridge covers and would like to put them on the bass. Basically because I like the way they look. I know, shallow... My dilemma is that - as I'm sure you all know - the bass has no holes drilled in it for the covers.

Am I an idiot if I drill holes in this bass?

Is there any other way to attach these things (without drilling)?

Thanks.

Dan

2. the engine

the engine Guest

I was thinking about chroming out my MIJ Jazz as well. I wouldn't worry so much about drilling the holes. Mods to an MIJ aren't as drastic (IMO) as mods to an actual 70's Jazz. I would just set the covers in place and make absolutely sure you love them before drilling the holes. Whether you do it or not, PICS PLEASE!

3. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I too love the look of the covers, but find it impossible to play with them on. I like to be able to vary my tone by playing in different spots, and even if I wanted to play in the spot that the covers allow, it is far too cramped for my tastes.

Thus, I STRONGLY recommend that you experiment with attaching the covers with double-sided tape for a few days, to make sure you like playing with them on. If it turns out that you like the covers on the bass, then you can drill the holes.

There is a reason why 98% of bassists remove the covers (and also why Fender discontinued them). Make sure you experiment with them on before you punch ugly holes in your instrument.

Best of luck!

4. somnar

somnar

Mar 27, 2009
    to ENGINE: The only thing that gives me pause is that I just sold a 1985 MIJ telecaster on eBay for $2025 (!). Can't believe the MIJ's have become collectible at all.

But I think you're right - why get hung up on it? If they'd only gotten the typeface on the headstock right, this thing would be (visually) perfect!

To JJANGO: Great advice, I'll try it out before I do the drilling.

Thanks. I will post pictures!

5. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Glad to be of service! :)

On a side note, maybe someone here could recommend a good brand of sticky tape that won't mar the finish of the instrument? I think there's a brand that everyone usually recommends, but it's slipped my mind right now.

6. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Do you have a link to this auction?

7. somnar

somnar

Mar 27, 2009
  8. Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects

Mar 1, 2006
    Florida
    Oh someone please post pictures of a Jag with some ashtrays.

Wait, no don't do that. I have enough GAS pain as it is.

9. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Wow! tHAT IS ONE COOL TELE...

10. somnar

somnar

Mar 27, 2009
    Loved it for the 15 years I had it, but just couldn't justify holding on to a guitar I didn't play more than twice a year. Still can't believe it brought $2K.

11. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Use double sided tape.

12. You asked for it! Also has cream pearl custom pickguard.

13. Let me try that again!

Attached Files:

14. Now get a pup cover on that- more chrome than a 50's Chevy!
    LOL
    :bassist:

15. Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects

Mar 1, 2006
    Florida
    Oh wow, that is gorgeous! The pearl pickguard is great with the black and chrome.

If you ever happen to put the pickup cover on, take a picture of that too! :hyper:

16. somnar

somnar

Mar 27, 2009
    Cool stuff...

17. DrPepper09

DrPepper09

Jan 22, 2009
    Denton, TX
    thanks for giving me more gas on a jag...

I NEED MONEY NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

and ts: PICS!