Mij vs Mia Jaco bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Isotope717, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Isotope717

Isotope717

Sep 3, 2021
    Hello everyone,
    I’m thinking of getting a Jaco Fretless bass. Are the specs the same between the mij / mia versions?
    I’ve seen the that current MIA versions have a 12” radius, which is what I’d prefer. Did the mij version have a 7.25” radius? It’s been hard to track down specs on these basses, so any help would be greatly aprreaciated.

2. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    I have the MIA Jaco Artist (not the custom shop) and it is a work of art. It does have a 12” radius for reasons unknown, and a thin but very hard poly finish on the board. I prefer the flatter radius personally. Don’t know the specs on the other model tho.

L

Keger Jupti and SirMjac28 like this.
  3. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Some specs from a 2004 MIJ Jaco: I found them online so I can't guarantee they are 100% correct.
    The maple neck has a medium C shaped profile with a smooth amber-tinted gloss finish, moderate shoulder, and lightly rolled fretboard edges, measuring .855" deep at the nut and tapering to .970" at the octave. Side dots and a lined fretboard help with pitch accuracy, The fretboard radius is 7 1/4", nut has a 1 1/2" J Bass width.

SirMjac28, Isotope717 and nonohmic like this.
  4. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    I'm not sure on the MIJ radius (although every MIJ I've played has been 7.25), but def trust your instinct on the 12" of the MIA, cause it plays amazing.

Isotope717 likes this.
  5. Isotope717

Isotope717

Sep 3, 2021
    Have the US Jaco models always had a 12” radius?

6. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    I think earlier models might have had a 9 1/2", but not sure about that. The current ones are definitely 12" tho.

L

7. Isotope717

Isotope717

Sep 3, 2021
    What year is yours if you don’t mind me asking? There’s some Jaco models on Reverb, but the two sellers I messaged didn’t know the radius. I’m wondering if I can narrow it down by the year:/

8. nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    My 2017 is 12", fwiw.

Isotope717 likes this.
  9. Isotope717

Isotope717

Sep 3, 2021
    Thank you

10. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    I have two of them actually, I ordered both in 2020, so I assume both are 2020 models. I liked the first one so much I got a second one. QC issues with both, but once I got that straightened out, they're works of art like I said...

L

Isotope717 likes this.
  11. Isotope717

Isotope717

Sep 3, 2021
    Does the serial start with T9....?
    I thought I’d be able to figure it out. I think some sellers of the Jaco bass are collectors and not players. The few I’ve asked didn’t know the radius, and I assume most players would know the radius of a bass, or at least be able to determine 7.25” from 12”.

12. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    I believe the custom shop version (the beat up one with the epoxy board for more than 2x the cost) is typically made with a 9 1/2" radius, I believe. But the regular Jaco Artist in the regular lineup has been 12" for a long time, and I may even be confused in thinking it was 9 1/2" at one point in its history.

I don't know why the Artist is 12", but it gives the neck a very interesting feel to it. I've always like flat radiuses in general though so I may be biased in preferring it. I'm glad it's 12" personally :)

And it doesn't sound like Jaco at all with the stock Fender flats it comes with, and hardly like a Jazz bass either for that matter. It has a very distinctive sound that I can't quite describe...

L

Isotope717 likes this.
  13. Isotope717

Isotope717

Sep 3, 2021
    I actually think the 12” radius might be closer to what an old bass that’s been planed or trued several times might be like. When reading about Jaco’s method of applying the epoxy, it seems he built somewhat of a makeshift dam around the fingerboard and poured the epoxy on. That might have resulted in a flatter radius even though he played vintage, 7.25” radius necks. There’s so much myth associated with Jaco; it’s hard to know what’s fact or legend. Did he really apply the epoxy or did a luthier for it for him? It’s hard to get all that information from a verified source. It’s super cool that his bass of doom was in fact found though. I know it was missing for a long time.

14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I would be genuinely shocked if 4/10 bass players knew the radius of the instrument. Heck, I'd be shocked if even 6/10 TB members know. And I doubt the average player could in radius tell the difference beyond "it feels different" and "I like how this one plays".

EDIT: Having owned both, the Relic indeed a 9.5" and the Artist have been 12" since at least 2006.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    johnnynitro and Isotope717 like this.
  15. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Jaco didn't need to ask about the Jaco Bass neck radius...

Keger Jupti, Dynacord, kobass and 4 others like this.
  16. nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Yes, T902xxx

Isotope717 likes this.
  17. What was jaco's actual bass of doom neck radius?

never mind, I think you answered my question here.

Isotope717 likes this.
  18. Isotope717

Isotope717

Sep 3, 2021
    Thank you.

19. nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Prob cause there wasn't any choice in the matter.

kobass and DJ Bebop like this.
  20. Isotope717

Isotope717

Sep 3, 2021
    I was just guessing based on the Fender SRV strat. Stevie’s main guitar had numerous refrets, and as a result of sanding the fingerboard prior to each refret, the fingerboard got a little flatter. Fender decided on 12” radius for the SRV strat. Maybe radiused blocks for sanding the fingerboard were not common 30-40 years ago.

dkelley likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022