1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mikro bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4-Strings, Feb 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. 4-Strings

4-Strings

Feb 8, 2018
    DFW
    Has anyone out there actually owned an Ibanez Mikro bass, or similar instrument? Thinking something like that might be cool for sitting around the house. Does it have decent sound for what it it?
    5p4xm03an13aahhbf6h2pgb0kg.

2. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    My son has one that we got him for Christmas. Good sound and great value.

A9739398-2183-42BA-870F-D7C19AB9B51B.

4sight likes this.
  3. 4-Strings

4-Strings

Feb 8, 2018
    DFW
    Thanks for the reply. I play a Sterling Sub every week, but thought a small "travel" bass might be something different to noodle with.

4. Bigal1369

Bigal1369

Dec 7, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Best little short scale for the money. I got one 5lbs 4oz. Sounds awesome. Had to do some miner adjustments to Bridge and Lower one p pick up. After that sounded like 1000 buck bass. I should know there's my 1000.00 plus Mike Watt (Watt Plower). Both passive. 20180228_174151. 20171225_210650.

4-Strings likes this.
  5. Bigal1369

Bigal1369

Dec 7, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Was going to change out pup to EMG geezer set. I like the sound of pup in there. Maybe change out tuners in future with some hipshot ultalights. Like this bass so much Definitely buying 1 more In next couple of months. Have so much fun with this little dude. Wish Ibanez would make higher end of this model, so I don't have to make Modifications. But that's what makes it fun.

6. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    I compared one to the squier jmj short scale and an Epiphone viola last week.

The mikro won the battle for me, tonewise. But the strings were quite floppy. If you attack the strings pretty hard, you might want to scale up to a heavier gauge than normal.

I thought it sounded great through the little markbass combo they had at GC.

7. 4-Strings

4-Strings

Feb 8, 2018
    DFW
    I prefer a darker, warm tone in general. I would think going to a heavier gauge would help that anyway. Thanks for the response!

8. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    The only mod I did, was to put some thin foam under the PUPs. When I raised them, they felt a touch loose and sloppy.

9. I recently saw this incarnation of The Association and got to talk to Del Ramos for a few minutes. He played an Ibanez Mikro on stage that night. He said that he really liked it

10. The Ibanez Mikro bass is probably the best value-for-money in basses today: typically about $179 new on the street and you get a very nice bass that doesn't really need to be modded, though it's a great mod platform too.

Although Ibanez's documentation says they use .45"-.105" strings, what I found on all three of the Mikros my family owns (which were made in different years and purchased at different stores) is that the original strings actually measured .040", .058", .073", .095". Those strings felt a bit loose to me, so I replaced them with the D'Addario EXL-170S set (.045", .065", .080", .100"), which feel great.

11. theinfamous

theinfamous

Dec 22, 2014
    I have a friend who procured one for a ridiculously small amount of money that someone had put Aguilar pickups in and it had what looked like baritone guitar strings on it. I put real strings on it and set it up for her. It's a really nice little instrument. Too bad she doesn't ever play it. I would own one myself, but I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't buy any more basses for quite a while.