Mini Qtron Fix?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SupaFli, Apr 16, 2004.

1. SupaFli

SupaFli Guest

Feb 18, 2002
    I've had a mini Q for over a year and pretty much like it. But lately the gain drop when engaged is driving me up the wall.....

Had anybody popped the lid and tried to modify this problem?

(I don't need the volume pedal answer cuz I'm already doing that...looking for a permanent fix)

2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Electro Harmonix pedals aren't the easiest to fix, but the first thing to check is the battery and loose solder connections. Anything else isn't for beginners.
  3. SupaFli

SupaFli Guest

Feb 18, 2002
    I apologize for not making it a bit more clear. It's not broken, so it doesn't need a "fix", but rather a modification.

It's a pretty well known that engaging the Mini Q effect lowers the overall gain....or output. Right now it's "kinda" being fixed with compression and a volume pedal.

I forget how I'm wired (will pop the hood my my pedalboard tonight) but I'm either using the EH power supply or going through my VD PP2. But, if memory serves correct....I'm using the 9v connector into the PP2. But, this isn't the's the gain circuit in the EH.

I'll probably just have to send my whole board to TechStar and have them create a fix. Wondering what others have done...

(Or probably just bail on the Mini Q and pick up a FM4)
  4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    This is wierd. Mine actually increases the output when engaged - so much so that I have to be REALLY careful to adjust accordingly so as not to clip or blow my bandmates away.
  5. SupaFli

SupaFli Guest

Feb 18, 2002
  6. SupaFli

SupaFli Guest

Feb 18, 2002
    Opp...just got a call. Guitarist buddy has an extra FM4 which will fit on my board and gimme filter adjustment...

We'll throw her in the closet for a rainy day.

7. _SLY_

Aug 23, 2006
    Hey all,

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I figured this pertained to the topic.

Has anyone successfully added a gain control to the mini q? If so, do they have a diagram or any tips/instructions?

I'm supposed to get my mini q today, and I'm kinda nervous for my very old ampeg. I'm using a passive bass, so I don't know if that changes the "volume spike" problem associated with the minis, but I'd like to know what I'm in for.

Thanks in advance.

8. lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    the fx sound is a tad louder than the unaffected. i´m sure you won´t kill your amp by stepping on the tron.

9. _SLY_

Aug 23, 2006
    I gotta say it's not as bad as I expected. I actually wound up hooking it up to a PA earlier, and even though the volume change was there, it was controllable.
  10. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006

This is exactly what happens to me.

11. Me too. It took a lot of messing around and the insertion of a compressor to control the spike you get when the Mini Q-Tron is stamped on. Mine DEFINATELY increases the gain. That seems to be the general gripe with mini Qtrons. Yours is the other way round... Odd. :confused: