1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Minifoogers

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kevinmoore73, Oct 8, 2013.

1. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm surprised there's nothing here about the new Moog Minifoogers. Has anyone seen these? Does anyone have any info on them beyond what Moog has released so far?

2. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
  3. fisticuffs

fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    Not surprising. Moog didn't even give their dealers any info. They just launched today with the exception of a small leak by a European site a month or so ago.
    Boost is $149, Delay $199, Drive $169, Ring $149, Trem $179. Kinda surprised they went with a Ring Mod and not and envelope filter. Or a Ring Mod and a trem since the larger Ring mod can be set to make a fantastic trem. Ring Mod is just one of those effects you want to use, but can't. The Moog Ladder filter in a small pedal would be ideal.

Should have them up for sale in a few hours. No idea when they ship.

4. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Man, Moog corporate is really doing its best to dilute the brand. I wonder what Bob would have thought of the last few years. I hope they are making a ton of money with this stuff but for innovation these days Moog ain't cutting it.

5. kevinmoore73

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    How exactly are they diluting their brand? :eyebrow:

6. I was about to post this. Also surprised about the ring/trem over filter choice.

The overdrive seems cool and I'm interested to hear it on bass.

7. Saw these a couple of days ago and started salivating. The delay sounds really nice, but I agree- gimme a LPF!

8. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Going after the guitar overdrive pedal market? Mass market pedals that offer nothing new except they are branded with the Moog name? Their core business for 40 years was synthesizers. And they are trading on the name built up from that innovation, so sure it's dilution. It may work, it may be great, but it seems like a corporate suit decision to grab market share the simplest way possible.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I disagree. They're offering Foogers for everyone, since the old ones are large, and expensive. Adding a new product line, even small all-analog fx pedals, does not dilute the brand one bit. It only serves to expand their appeal to more musicians.

Marihino likes this.
  10. kevinmoore73

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't see how extending and expanding into different markets dilutes the brand. Besides, for how long have they been making the Foogers? These are quite similar, but smaller and more affordable.

Have you heard these and compared them with other pedals? Are you able to say that they have no character of their own and offer nothing new other than the Moog name?

I'm guessing you thought Apple was diluting their brand when they came out with the iPod. If not that, I'm sure you thought it about the iPhone.

11. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Yeah, It kinda only makes sense that a business would want to expand a line, or branch out to gain a lil more market share.

Now, if what theyre sellin is junk,..that could be a different story.(but I'm gonna assume that is not the case.)

Ymmv

12. fisticuffs

fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    The big drawback of the Moogerfooger is it's size and price. Think they solved both of those here.

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I know one thing "from the inside": the decisions made by the Moog co are not made by some suits, but by some very nerdy engineer musicians. Whether they made good brand decisions is up to us in the peanut gallery, and the rest of the marketplace to decide; but they are not bland corporate drones. :)

14. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Just when I thought I had resisted all temptation from buying anymore pedals...

15. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I think they are doing a great job with the brand and products. Sure, this may seems like a quick way to make some profit (which is nothing wrong, specially when they just invested millions on a new building and they keep putting out good, new products), but these are great-sounding pedals, and pretty unique to my ears (just by listening to the videos).

Regarding innovation, well, there is just so much you can do with analog technology. If anything, I commend them for respecting analog and keeping it alive. Moog still are one of the golden standards.

Furthermore, their expansion has been slow and methodical. The product line up still is pretty small. I wonder how else can they grow and "innovate" without diluting the brand. Again, there is just so much you can do with analog and how many more analog synthesizers can you build?

16. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
  17. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    A TON MORE SYNTHS!!!!!!!!!!
    Innovation for Moog would be a quasi-affordable polysynth.

18. Would have been interested in an envelope filter. Meh on the rest of it.

19. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Boost, Drive and Delay cover what 99% of musicians look for in pedals. Across many pedals boards, those are the most common to be found. Releasing those first was a good plan.

20. Not arguing that point in any way, but there are plenty of companies putting out those type of pedals. MOOG wrote the book on synthy/envelopey sounds. I'd take a serious look at envelope filter with their name on it. A drive pedal? Not so much.