1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Minimizing string to string vibration transmission

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dancrocker, Sep 26, 2009.

1. dancrocker

dancrocker

May 18, 2009
    It seems like my P-bass transmits a lot of vibration between strings. This is problematic as my muting technique isn't all that great (still working on getting better). I was curious if there are any basses that are designed to minimize this transmission. Does anyone have any idea is a P-bass is considered good or bad in this regard?

A related question:
    Is it true that this transmission occurs through the bridge? If so, it seems like bridge design would have the biggest impact.

2. The best way to treat the problem is get a bass like an ibanez BTB that has individual bridges for each string. Unless you're talking about sympathetic vibrates,that is just physics.(alot of people have been talking about this problem lately for some reason)

3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Continue working on your muting technique.

4. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    Work on your muting techinques, both you figuring hand and picking hand and you can help yourself out a lot.

Todd :)

5. dancrocker

dancrocker

May 18, 2009
    I agree and am always working on this.
    FYI, I went to the local shop this past weekend and played a number of different basses. Some definitely exhibited less of this transmission than mine. Oddly enough, the behavior didn't seem to be tied to particular brands/models.

6. lupien

lupien

Aug 17, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Maybe you want to try putting one of those hair elastic things around your neck. I have one on my bass for when I slap. It dampens any overtones so maybe it could help in your case too. And it cost $1.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=335298

But even if it does work don't stop working on that muting.

7. dancrocker

dancrocker

May 18, 2009
    When I first read this, I thought it was a joke. Apparently not :). I never saw this before. I play fingerstyle exclusively so I don't expect this would be a good idea for me. Although, it might be fun to see what it sounds like. I've spent more than a $1 on less useful things before ;)

8. lupien

lupien

Aug 17, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    It won't sound any different at all but it does prevent the string from creating unwanted overtones. In your case if vibrations are transmited to other string it might be just enough to stop them from vibrating. Just make sure its not too tight to make your open strings sound bad or lose sustain. You don't want it to mute the strings. Just barely sitting on the strings to dampen the vibrations a little.

The pic of Victor Wooten shows the elastic on the first fret. But I usually just leave it right next to the nut (on the fretted side of course). The if you don't want it on you just pull it over the nut and it won't affect anything.

9. dancrocker

dancrocker

May 18, 2009
    Hmmm...interesting. I would have expected it to mute the open strings noticeably. It sounds like it's worth playing with though.

Thanks!