1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Missing gig opportunites.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by dcalde78, Aug 26, 2012.

1. dcalde78

dcalde78

Apr 17, 2012
    Scotland
    A little background info first. I live in Shetland, UK, an island in the middle of the North Sea, with mainland Scotland being over 200 miles away.

Now, I've been in 2 bands here over the course of 3 years. I quit my first band after I realised that it was going nowhere. The singer was terrible and literally no one liked him or his singing voice, and as such, no one would come to see us. I quit at the end of 2011, and formed my new band, Høygir (http://www.facebook.com/hoygir).

Since the beginning of 2012, we have been working hard on writing original material. We've been doing well, we're on for having 8 songs by the end of the year. We managed to secure gigging with the local metal band, Ten Tonne Dozer - who went on a small European tour this year - whenever they weren't away.

Locally, there is also a "young promoters group" who work on giving young, local bands, opportunities to gig and get their name known locally. They were speaking this year about taking people down to Aberdeen, on the Scottish mainland to gig there. Of course, we wanted this. We wanted it bad. The news came about that they were going to be taking 4 bands, so naturally, we thought we would be a decent choice. We're young, we put on a good show with our own music (as well as covers, but the quantity stands at about 1/2 covers, 1/2 originals, to make up about an hour's worth of music).

We were asked availability dates last week, and unfortunately one of our guitarists wasn't going to be able to make it as his family is going to America on holiday. The rest of us were available and were willing to do it without him, and he was cool with that.

Then came the news about who they were taking. We weren't even contacted personally about it, the promoter's group decided to just post who they were taking on their Facebook page, and we weren't one of them.

Now of course, I was disappointed, but this turned to irritation when I saw who they decided to take to Aberdeen.

I saw that they decided to take the all girl pop-ish group (same kind of deal with setlists, covers and originals), an alt rock band (all covers), acoustic duo (members from my band have this as a side project, all covers), and a singer songwriter (originals and covers).

The thing that gets on my nerves is that they're taking acts that play only covers. Now don't get me wrong, I know it's how bands start and everyone has to start there, and I'm glad that the dudes from my band get to go south. But this is supposed to be an opportunity to showcase the music that young people are playing in Shetland. Cover bands are going to be a dime a dozen on the mainland, yet they're taking cover bands. The thing that really tops it off, that gets on my nerves the most:

One of the girls that is in the pop-ish band, also performs with the singer songwriter.

The hell.

She gets to perform twice and my band doesn't even get a look in, but 2 other members of my band can?

It really doesn't make sense to me, at all.

I know the summary makes me sound like a jealous a-hole but I can't get my head around why we weren't chosen.

Summary:

My band which puts on a good show (even with a man down), with original material, did not get chosen to play on the Scottish mainland (which could have been a massive break for us), but bands that perform all covers did, and one person gets to perform twice.

I've needed to rant about this since I found out. I find it just really unfair on my behalf that 2 members of my band get to go with their side project, and we don't as a full band.

2. stagebanter

stagebanter

May 12, 2012
    Maybe they didn't choose you because one of your people can't make it, and even though you're comfortable with it, they're not. That sounds like something someone who organizes a show would do. They usually go with the safe bet.

3. Mike11121

Mike11121

Sep 17, 2007
    Bali
    Yeah - that royally sucks!

But thinking as the promoter, taking an all-girl cover band including one girl who "performs in a duo" rather than an all-bloke sweaty metal band probably has some attraction to it . . . . just sayin' :bag:

Not right, but understandable . .

4. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    I guess he's not the best promoter for metal....

You should join your buddy on his trip to America. We'd love to have ya!

Keep writing and playing and writing and playing...

5. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    I think that was a lazy promoter. You're more likely to get gigs if you are a cover band, because people know what they're getting, and depending on the venue, expect to listen to covers. It's harder when you are an original band. So maybe, that's why they took bands that were predominantly playing covers. All-girl bands are also popular due to their novelty factor, and if they play covers? That makes them all the more enticing.

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out. Sometimes life isn't fair.

6. dcalde78

dcalde78

Apr 17, 2012
    Scotland
    I wouldn't really class us as metal... we're slightly more intense than what we intended, but I wouldn't really class us a more than hard rock. Maybe a touch of metal here and there but definitely not completely.

The promoter is a group of young people (I say young, they're all 17 minimum, but I suppose that really is young in the music industry), the head of it is that chick performing in 2 acts (she's a bit stuck up too, "ooh look at me I'm great" kind of thing), and my drummer (in the other duo, plays cajon drum) is the vice chairperson or whatever you want to call it.

As for knowing what you get... we did send away a demo to this venue, and we have a few videos on YouTube that show us playing what we like, Airbourne, AC/DC, Motorhead, Ramones, etc. We're kind of a mash-up of all of them combined, as well as other elements. But you can easily get the idea of what we're like from the examples we provide (granted, the quality of our videos aren't that great audio wise, but they were from my girlfriend's DSLR, I'm surprised they're as good as they are).

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/hoygirband

Demo: http://soundcloud.com/sypg/04-hit-the-gas-h-ygir

7. I checked out your facebook page/youtube channel and I liked what I heard. Sorry about not getting the big break but hopefully something bigger will come along soon.

8. dcalde78

dcalde78

Apr 17, 2012
    Scotland
    All we can really do is hope what we get a few more good gigs and promoters notice us. I did get into contact with one who said he might be getting an Iron Maiden tribute band and he would keep us in mind as support. That would blow my mind all over the wall behind me.

And our facebook, for anyone interested.

http://www.facebook.com/hoygir

9. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Don't sweat it and keep your head up. The music industry is full of all kinds of characters and never give up or quit. Keep playing and stay positive because you never know what might happen at a later date. I'm 56, been playing bass for 41 years, and finally, just recently got my first Endorsement. It's never too late. Take it from me.

10. Mike11121

Mike11121

Sep 17, 2007
    Bali
    What did Frank Zappa say?
    "The first thing to do is don't stop. The second thing to do is keep going"

bassinplace knows it.

11. throughthefire

throughthefire

Oct 1, 2010
    Utah
    Why put so much store by this 'promoter's group'? Get on the phone and call a few pubs and clubs on the mainland. Get your band on a ferry, and go and do short tour yourself.

If you wait for someone else to do it all for you, you'll have a mighty long wait.

12. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    If your drummer's in this 'promoters group', then maybe he's the guy to be asking why you weren't included.

But +1 to the comments about putting things together yourself. I guess there can't be that many opportunities locally. I've just come back from holiday in Orkney, where my parents have moved, and that felt like a whole separate little world (in a mostly good way) - I'd imagine Shetland is even more so. (Side note: I recognised the name 'Ten Tonne Dozer - from a poster in Kirkwall!)

13. dcalde78

dcalde78

Apr 17, 2012
    Scotland
    The band hasn't practiced since the announcement was made due to one guitarist being at work, and our drummer performing with the National Youth Jazz Orchestra Of Scotland (what a mouthful). Naturally, money comes first if the job is temporary (and when the rate is £24 an hour...), and when you get the chance to play with a Jazz Orchestra.

I'll be sure to ask why we weren't taken as a band. I still can't get my head around the decision.