Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Missionary to....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by CanadianBass48, Mar 3, 2006.

1. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    Well, I have decided that I am going. I don't know where yet but I am going to become a missionary to a third world country. Probably somewhere in asia or south america. I have no clue yet though where. Right now I am in Bible school and then after I graduate I'll be off for I little more training. I really want to be a bush pilot though but I'll have to see if it is in Gods plan for me. I am excited though. I really wanted to get into a band and play everything and just live music, but... it hit me today; there are still thousands of language groups out there that still have never heard the gospel. I can't sit here doing nothing anymore. NO offence to anybody but does anybody think that there is something more to life. I use to live for my dream bass and rig. working towards that was my life. I still love bass and will probably downsize and sell off my other basses till I only have one, maybe just two or three, ;) . Bass is awsome but it is no longer the number one thing in my life, Jesus Christ is in the front seat now.

2. Awesome stuff. While I am not a full time missionary to other countries, I have been to Jamaica on a mission trip, and plan on going to another this summer, hopefully. Thats awesome that you're gonna go in it all the way like that. Best of luck with it. If youre willing to go, He'll work through you.

Dave

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Its great that you have such a heart for people :D

I'd like to do a missions trip sometime but doubt I will anytime soon, as my parents aren't much for Christianity...

4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I don't want to make a political argument in here, but I just have to say one thing. I don't have respect for missionaries (of any religion). I find what they do unethical and a waste of their time. I don't want to personally offend anyone. It's just my opinion. Maybe I'm ignorant.

5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Too me their is nothing wrong with someone who has found a good thing in their life, wether it be a Sadowsky Bass or Faith in Jesus Christ, to want to share it with others. As long as the person doing the sharing isn't using deceit or coercion. Anyone who doesn't want to share about the good things in their life is living a fairly self centered-selfish existence.
    IMHO

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    If you don't want to offend, don't post in this aspiring missionary's thread. Rolling your contempt for missionaries in sugar just so you can say your piece makes it even more insulting.

Other than that, have a fine Navy day.

7. Good luck!

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I just don't get it. A couple weeks ago, I had a missionary basically try to convert me in the subway. He came all the way from Salt Lake City. I guess places like that are more conservative than here in Montreal where there is a huge mix of cultures and religions who are all respected equally for the most part. I will leave all of you alone now because if I go any further, I will piss some people off.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Good idea. Like sycip said, you are really out of place with those comments in this thread.

-Mike

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It's all perspective man. Just don't go thinking that maybe you are somehow better than those who do not see things as you do.

With that said, congratulations on your choice. The world can always use another person looking to make it better.

-Mike

11. Good work CanadianBass48! I think you're a champ.

You probably are. When many people hear the word "missionary" they think that it invloves pushing your view on other people in another part of the world. That's not how it is. The missionary work that my church, and others like it, are involved in focusses on meeting the needs of communities in other parts of the world that struggle with the basics. The missionaries go over to these places and build schools, hospitals, houses, wells, anything that the community needs. The missionaries themselves are not bible bashing freaks. They are normal people - electricians, plumbers, carpenters, builders, teachers, doctors, or others who just want to help and show people in less fortunate circumstances that we care about them. They share their beliefs, but only to those who are interested in hearing it. They never force or coerce others to listen to or believe what they believe. It takes a big heart and a lot of guts to do something like that and I'm all for it.

I actually have a friend who just moved down to Melbourne to study to become a missionary pilot. He will get his pilots licence in 2 years and begin flying all through the tropical countries north of Australia delivering food, supplies, medical aid, etc to remote parts that are cut off from outside access all year round. The people from the communities that receive this assistance are incredibly grateful for it - they've told us themselves.

12. I’m a heathen atheist, but I think doing the missionary thing can be a positive thing, so long as it doesn’t manifest itself in any way resembling the “Marklar” episode of South Park. You’ll be exposed to a vastly different culture and way of living, so remember to keep a respectful open mind toward cultural beliefs and practices you find strange. Chances are that you will find yourself learning and growing as much if not more than those you are trying to help.

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    There's also the chance to join the Red Cross volunteerforce, although it takes a degree and few years of work experience in some beneficial field.

14. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    When someone posts a question on an internet forum, they are going to get a broad range of opinions. Just because jazzin' isn't being encouraging doesn't mean he should stay away. If anything, the OP should have kept this question to himself if he didn't want honest feedback.

Back on topic. Before you head off to convert the heathens, look around your own community. Look around your own country. Are you called to service there? If you're going to build homes, schools and churches, why can't you do it in your own community? Consider helping those in your own backyard before you jump the fence and start working in someone elses.

I do truly hope that no matter what you do, you actually go to help people, rather than just try to convert them. If your plans are to just stand on a street corner and try to convert people, then you should just stay home. Convince people of your faith through your actions, not your words.

15. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    sorry about your bad exsperiance man. That was probably a Jahova witness. Thier veiws aren't near the same as mine, nither are thier witnessing techneics. PM me if you want to go on. I don't mind. Just remember that just because somebody says that they are a missionary doesn't mean that they are a missionary of Christianity.

16. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    (Quote) Back on topic. Before you head off to convert the heathens, look around your own community. Look around your own country. Are you called to service there? If you're going to build homes, schools and churches, why can't you do it in your own community? Consider helping those in your own backyard before you jump the fence and start working in someone elses. (quote)

The thing is about this is that those out there in tribes haven't even had the chance to hear. They have no Bible. We here in america have everything. Jesus said go preach the word to those who have not heard. They need to hear.

(Quote) I do truly hope that no matter what you do, you actually go to help people, rather than just try to convert them. If your plans are to just stand on a street corner and try to convert people, then you should just stay home. Convince people of your faith through your actions, not your words.[/QUOTE]

Thank for the advice. I am a missionary Kid or MK from venezuela so I am up on most of the techneques to use. I am not going there to convert. I am going there to make reelationships with the people and then tell them of what God has done in my life and what he can do in theirs. It is always about relationships. Its about the people. I am not the kind of guy to just walk around and throw my "riligion" around. I have to acually know the person first.

17. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i have to agree with jazzin. first of all i'm an athiest. this doesnt mean that i'm a bad person. i help people and do things not because some invisible man in the sky tells me to, it's because it's the right thing to do. it is the morals and values that were instilled in me by my mom and dad. my friends will tell you that i'm a standup guy who would give you the shirt off of my back, although no one needs to see that. i dont think 3rd world countries need "the gospel". they need running water, decent hospitals and health care and some one to teach them how to feed themselves and to stop being so dependant on the us for hand outs. the ancient greeks believed that everthing had a god attached to it. the sea, the sun, etc. if some guy in a hut thinks that a rock is his god and thats what gets him through his life on a day to day basis, what is wrong with that?. teach them how to become self sufficient and leave "the gospel" at home.

18. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005

probably a mormon

19. I bolded the part that piqued my interest. It is true that Americans have far more in material terms than those who live where you would travel. But I wouldn’t say that it necessarily holds true for the immaterial, the kind of thing that you are concerned with.

Sure everybody in the US knows that there are people who go to church, and everybody here is familiar with the basic tenets of Christianity, but I think this probably also holds true for all but the most remote populations throughout the world, and soon enough will hold true for all.

But what kind of lives are people leading in terms of spirituality and richness of experience?

In the US, the depth of complexity in our social structure places heavy demands on one’s attention. Your average Joe spends most of his time thinking about the intricacies of how to please his boss, attract a mate, invest money, all the little chores that need done, impress friends, avoid getting a speeding ticket but get to and from work rapidly, how his kids will do all of these things, getting drunk at a party, what’s on TV, who’s going to win what sports competitions, political issues that either affect him of offend his sensibilities, noisy neighbors, etc. etc.

Through all of this, it’s likely that the scope of his communion with fellow humans, and living out the implications of the “love your neighbor” commandment is limited. His intimate relationships end with his immediate family, and it’s likely that some of these are one-sided and lacking in depth. Acquaintances are a function of necessity and objective. You have to at least act personable with your coworkers to make money. In some cases, if Joe professes to be religious, his church-going experience may contain the same kind of social emptiness. What I’m saying is that the material wealth and richness of US living is not reflected in social richness and complexity, and indeed may be exist at its expense. This is debatable.

On the other hand, the populations least likely to have heard the good word are going to be those most community-oriented. Sure there’s work to be done, and survival is paramount, but the experience of living generally takes place inside a healthy social environment. Living for your fellow person is a fact of life. Social isolation is not.

What all this says to me is that nations industrialized as the US might be considered to be more spiritually-barren ground, more in need of care and community than those areas not yet subject to the demands and benefits of technological-industrial living.

That being said, the people in developing nations are starving and stuff and we aren’t.

This sends up some caution flags with me. Talk of techniques and relationships as a means to an end imply to me that conversion is indeed your objective. Conversion makes sense in the context of many Christian’s beliefs, but I think you could be headed down a bad road if you aren’t honest with yourself and your prospects.

When I attended a University for a while there were several Christian groups, many of them evangelically-focused with almost cultish tendencies in recruitment, comprised mainly of converts intent on spreading their brand of Christian meme. Their basic strategy was to be extremely friendly with non-Christians, and use friendship as leverage for conversion. In this way, the friendship wasn’t really that, but a trick, like a perversion of the practice of “love your neighbor”. This probably wasn’t their view, as they couldn’t allow themselves to think in those terms as a consequence of their born-again-ness, but that’s what it was nonetheless. Please avoid this.

20. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    It IS Missionaries that have introduced running water, hospitals, clinics, and modern agricultural techniques to much of the third world. In fact the movement to establish hospitals and organized education was largely a religious movement in it's foundation. And I don't know of any missionary groups that are ministering in the third world that don't provide those kinds of services (in most cases regardless of the faith of those receiving those services). I have been involved in several missionary trips and in every case I can assure that a vast majority of the time was spent meeting the physical needs of the people we were ministering too. In all cases with no strings attached.

We have several "missionary's" on Talkbass. Tombowlus is a missionary for Bergintino IP amps and Sadowsky SA200's, Bikeplate is a Sadowsky basses missionary, ,Major Metal extols the virtues of greenburst quilted maple tops:D All these people have found something that has "changed" their lives and they want to share this with others. Perhaps many missionaries believe (and I happen to share this belief) that the people they are ministering too would have more complete and better lives if they experienced the same things. Like I said before, to have discovered something that makes the overall practice of "living your life" far better and NOT to want to share it with others is an extremely selfish world view. Obviously this doesn't apply to those who would use coercion or deceit to spread a message, the "message you have should be able to stand on it's own.