1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mixed Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Acoustic356, Feb 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Acoustic356

Acoustic356 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    Every time I have seen mixed cabs used by big named bands, the basically mic 1 of the 410 speakers and mic the 115, then blend the two at the mixer.

I use that technique when I record as well.

The thought here is that you should not use this combination because 1 will be starved/not heard over the other.

However, in most gigs I have played, my stage rig wasn't to provide enough volume to be heard by the house, but to provide the tone that I need for a solid mix.

What say ye?

2. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Life's too short to argue about mixing cabs.

Joybass, P-oddz, JayVek-72 and 2 others like this.
  3. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Agreed. But this will still be a big thread.

4. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    Think of it more of a conversation about whether it makes a difference when using sound reinforcement, which is a valid consideration.

When I play, I have been fortunate to never have to worry about having a loud stage volume. We're really pretty quiet... even our drummer.

I have been in bands where I have had to wear hearing protection standing next to the drummer, but in our current set up, with our current PA, no one feels the need to play loud enough to fill a stadium. So... we set up, mic, go for it...

Even the guitarist uses a loadbox to simulate load so he can get tone at a lower volume.

5. Then you wouldnt need a second cab in the first place.

T2k5, Sartori, Joybass and 6 others like this.
  6. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I LOL'd

...but, as per the OP, the point of the second cab is for tone, not volume.

Acoustic356 likes this.
  7. Which wont matter, as it is going to the desk and getting tweaked there, right?

Sartori likes this.
  8. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    Exactly @Bob_Ross. Although 410/115 is an extreme example... I generally use 210/115.

Although I have seen 410/115 used on stage - with low stage volume.

wmhill likes this.
  9. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    Merged... EQ'd separately.

10. But they still have to be EQ's and slotted at the desk. Which means that the individual tone of both cabs is getting adjusted. Which means your sound man is either working twice as hard, or he is more likely turning on of your channels off.

Sartori, mbelue, staurosjohn and 2 others like this.
  11. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    I'm not sure why this is such a novel concept...

In studio, people will usually record Direct Box, and mic'd cabinets and mix the 2 on the recording. It happens more times than you think.

12. Because you have the luxury of a controlled setting, where you are paying the people working for you, and you have time. This isnt the case on many a gig for most players.

Sartori, mbelue, tedious1 and 3 others like this.
  13. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    I believe in paying the sound man!

Bob_Ross likes this.
  14. So do I, but if I am playing one set, and the sound guy is paid by the venue, it is a quick set up between bands.

Sartori likes this.
  15. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    So... the conversation is degrading a little bit into "is this practical" and "your average around town 1 set musician."

My initial statement was, I like the sound of a 110 mixed with that of a 112. Our band uses low stage volume. I mic each because I have the luxury and I like the tone.

I have not had to play in a situation where there isn't sound reinforcement, so I am not trying to fill the auditorium/venue with bass.

As a result, mixing cabs does not have as great an impact.

While I realize that it may not be feasible for some, it is a great way to get nice crisp 10" brights with bass filled 12" without worrying about starving one or the other because I'm looking at the tone and not the volume.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  16. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    IF You're Getting The tones you like from mixed drivers, then do it

17. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

If you are talking about mixing two sources of bass, I think you are better off mixing direct with a single mic'd cab.

18. See I just get crisp brights and bass from 15's.

19. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago