Mixed hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Laits, May 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Laits

Laits Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Appleton, WI
    So I was looking to upgrade my Highway One bass with a higher quality tuner. Not that it doesnt stay in tune (I tune up every day before practicing), but wanted something maybe a little smoother. I looked into a few options and they either don't cover the old tuner space (looks like the UV imprinted the old tuner footprint) or they are not available in chrome finish (eg, hipshot HB7). So is there any good options for a chrome fender MIM/HWY one tuner replacement? Are nickel tuners and chrome body hardware the norm?

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Is this like mixing different speakers? :bag:

3. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    I just put some nickel Hipshot Ultralites on a bass with chrome hardware. They're far enough apart on the bass that you don't really notice they're a slightly different color. The HB7s are direct replacements for the MIM tuners.

4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Nickel has a blue cast to it, chrome has a yellow cast to it, but it's only really noticeable if you put a couple of pieces side by side, and even then the light needs to be pretty good to catch it. I wouldn't worry over much about it if you want the HB7's.

That said, you can get several bridges in nickel plate, the most common being a Fender Pure Vintage unit which features a nickel plated bent plate. Nickel plated control plates for jazz basses are also available as are neck plates, so if your OCD can't abide mixing, it is possible to convert the major pieces. I've never seen any but I'm sure it's because I've never looked for them but I can't help but believe nickel strap buttons and screws are also available.

5. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I've always noted nickel as being warmer looking than chrome. Not sure regarding strings, but every other type of hardware I know of is that way.

fhm555 likes this.
  6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Given the difference in how they reflect light, what we get back from nickel is not as harsh so warmer would seem an apt description.

Coming from the motorcycle world, I've pretty much always prefered nickel plate for no other reason than "triple chrome plating" is akin to the three tone burst and flats in the bass world. Back in the day folks would go so over the top with chrome when they built a chop or did a serious refinish, sometimes sacrificing actual important things in order to afford enough chrome to qualify for what my gramps would call suspender snapper status. In fairness chrome is much harder than nickel so it is more scratch resistant and durable, but with the more muted colors i prefer, a warmer reflection from my shiny bits is just what the doctor ordered.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021