1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

mixing string gauges

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DTF, Apr 23, 2010.

1. DTF

DTF

Feb 14, 2010
    queens
    Hey I have a set of labella 760fls and fms I prefer the tone from the d&g on the fms but the tension on the a&e on the fls would mixing the 2 be a problem?

2. Schmo_bass

Schmo_bass Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Bumping a zombie thread.

Same question in reverse.

I prefer the richer tone and taught feel of the A & E string from the FS set, but the less tense and more easy to fret feel of the FL’d D & G. Is mixing for the bass?

3. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    No problem as long as all strings are from the same string line.
    It's actually a very good idea to create custom gauge sets to perfect the per-string tensions for your needs.
    Traditional sets are often top-heavy, they have more tension on the higher strings, many players prefer more equal tensions.
    A few (like me) prefer bottom-heavy sets, but such sets do not exist despite being optimum in many ways.

4. Schmo_bass

Schmo_bass Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Yes indeed. i like my lower string to be taught, thumping and woody, and the FS set 105 gauge just delivers this in a way the 104 does not. Similar for the A.

But I want my upper strings to be more limber and easy to fret for doing fills.

So my question is: by mixing am I at any risk of damaging the neck via uneven pull on the truss rod?

That said, if I had to guess, the mixture of strings I’ve created feels potentially at least as balanced than the FS standard, whereim the D and G seem higher in tension than the A at least. (Too bad LaBella doesn’t publish tension figures).

still, figure I will query the wisdom. Of TB to be sure before leaving my new Fender Jazz AmPro like this for a spell...

thanks!

5. "43-60-85-105" (FL/FS) would be better balanced in tension than a traditional "45-65-80-100" set. So, if anything, you're actually doing the neck some good.

6. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    ^ Yes that.
    Many traditional sets are extemely top heavy and more imbalanced than a gently bottom-heavy set.

7. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    For example see the insane tensions of this tradiitional flats set:

GHS Precision Flats in the regular gauge (55-105)
    G 055 - 68.8
    D 070 - 62.2
    A 090 - 56.9
    E 105 - 41.2

8. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    So in fact you don't like bottom-heavy sets, you actually like sets with more equal tensions.
    Perhaps try building a custom set from singles by using a tension chart to acheive equal tensions. Such a set may be something like 45 60 80 105, these gauges tend to result in near-equal tensions.